Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

did this before with good success, didnt have $$ to buy good motor mounts. The pics are pretty much self explanatory.start out with mounts that are in OK condition DO NOT CUT rubber out as this is needed to sandwich tight and keep center sleeve somewhat aligned you can grind off some rubber off center sleeve for tight fitment of the plates, 2 pieces of 1/4" ALUMINUM cut to fit inside rubber and around center sleeve, clamp them together drill 2 or 3 holes all the way thru both plates, I used 2 this time, then with long bolts just tighten up till the plates become even with the steel outer sleeve or tighter if you like, just need enough clearance of the center sleeve sticking out farthest for clearance, than cut off excess threads, use lock nuts or a small tac of weld on the end of nuts..done..SOLID MOUNTS. last ones i made for my H22 accord lasted 4yrs that I owned it and 1yr later talked to the guy who bought it still holding up strong, materiels cost $15

Attachments

·
Registered
207 Posts
Ghetto indeed. Its not pretty, but if it works it works, and that looks like it will hold just fine.

If it were me, Id try again. Get those inserts cut nicer. But thats me, Im picky with that kind of thing. Rep to you for having a functional idea. Ill be doing this when I do my swap.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
im running 19psi boost. broke 2 trannys in 6 months with stock mounts and real short on cash flow rite now

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ghetto indeed. Its not pretty, but if it works it works, and that looks like it will hold just fine.

If it were me, Id try again. Get those inserts cut nicer. But thats me, Im picky with that kind of thing. Rep to you for having a functional idea. Ill be doing this when I do my swap.
deff coulda been cut and cleaned up alot nicer!! was in a hurry, on lunch break and shatty plazma torch

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Actually I beat the snot out of the 1st one, 2nd one a drove normal, both trannys had the same out come with teeth broke on the ring and pinion

·
Registered
610 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
I was taught if your on a budget silicone your mounts and you'll break things inside your car you never knew you could

·
Registered
'97 crv
1,467 Posts
I was taught if your on a budget silicone your mounts and you'll break things inside your car you never knew you could
UUUUUUMMMM...... no.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Like a strong clutch, it can increase driveline shock. Stock mounts flex. That flexing allows some of the load to dissipate. If the mounts don't flex, you can break stuff. BUT, if you are doing things that would break axles or tranny parts with solid mounts, you should be working on your driving abilities anyways. I.e. don't dump your clutch on launches.

·
Registered
1971 VW Super Beetle
1,107 Posts
Like a strong clutch, it can increase driveline shock. Stock mounts flex. That flexing allows some of the load to dissipate. If the mounts don't flex, you can break stuff. BUT, if you are doing things that would break axles or tranny parts with solid mounts, you should be working on your driving abilities anyways. I.e. don't dump your clutch on launches.
If the clutch doesn't slip, the mounts don't flex, the tires don't break loose, the axles don't break, you can bet your transmission will. Something has to give so I would prefer it be my tires or clutch personally.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts