Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, just got my OEM Honda oil pump for my Z6/Vitara build.
My question is with 300whp as a Goal, do I need to modify the pump at all? I tried porting an old one, I thought it cam out pretty good. But, I don't want take this one apart if I don't have to. Any feedback would be great. Thanks,

·
Premium Member
95 CX Hatch
5,910 Posts
Nope...no reason to in a Z6 only going for 300. I put over 65k miles on my last oem oil pump 300whp block. Reused it on my second build (first block cracked from a failed injector and cracked piston) and have roughly 15k on it. If it was a y8 on the other hand...

·
Certified O.G.
A Shitbox
5,605 Posts
Nope...no reason to in a Z6 only going for 300. I put over 65k miles on my last oem oil pump 300whp block. Reused it on my second build (first block cracked from a failed injector and cracked piston) and have roughly 15k on it. If it was a y8 on the other hand...
Everytime I see an oil pump thread, I see my precious Y8 pump getting shit on :crying:.

Anyways, back on topic, Z6 OEM pump you should be fine, like Bizzar said, if it was a Y8, then you worry.

·
Registered
96 civic
276 Posts
Everytime I see an oil pump thread, I see my precious Y8 pump getting shit on :crying:.

Anyways, back on topic, Z6 OEM pump you should be fine, like Bizzar said, if it was a Y8, then you worry.
haha i feel ya. that's why i ported my mine
like it's been said, you'll be fine with the stock z6 pump. I almost built a z6 block for this reason

·
Premium Member
95 CX Hatch
5,910 Posts
^^ I tore down 3 over the years, all had spun mains and were imho toasted. They weren't worth salvaging or spending the money on a turned crank and having the journals worked.

ninja edit: I felt building a z6 or d15b was the better, less expensive choice.

·
Registered
5,872 Posts
^^ I tore down 3 over the years, all had spun mains and were imho toasted. They weren't worth salvaging or spending the money on a turned crank and having the journals worked.

ninja edit: I felt building a z6 or d15b was the better, less expensive choice.
sure wasnt the oil pump

y series blocks suck ass at oiling

nonvtec blocks and z6 blcoks have like 300% better block oiling

not pump related

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,237 Posts
Look up the factory specs of the 88-95 pumps and 96-00 pumps.

Which motors are having the most issues??????

Which pumps are rated at 30-35% LESS flow??????

Not a coincidence IMHO.

z6 rated at 45 lpm @ 6000 rpm

·
Registered
5,872 Posts
flow rating is nothing

oil pump still WROKS/FUNCTIONS fine

course its just not good enough to keep the motor healthy whhen being abused thats all.

Hell, Im copying rushi and gonna run a y8 pump/pickup/pan/pan baffle

cooling without effort FTW

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys for the input. Makes me feel a little more at ease putting it on without modifying it. I will prob start a Build thread here soon. So keep an eye out :yes:

·
Registered
873 Posts
Ok so even if we rushi-mod a brand new Y8 oil pump (even shim it with a .020" shim for a little more bump) we will still not come close to the quality of oil delivery of the Z6?

Favor, may I kindly ask for a listdown of what needs to be done here?

1. Port/Shim a brand new P7A oil pump

I am absolutely paranoid about this right now as I have just fucked up my bearings and lost a crank. Maybe I need to make a new thread about it but a wake-up slap on the face will do in the meantime.

Should i trash the Y8 idea once and for all and get a whole new Z6 engine just because of this???

·
Registered
685 Posts
i'm running a y7 oil pump with a z6 crank in a y7 block lol. the y7 crank was toast so i reused my z6 crank. z6 cranks has 2 holes for oiling rather than the y7 crank only has 1.

idk how well this will hold up, but i will boost it later down the road and give my inputs on it.

·
Registered
5,872 Posts
I wonder why Bisi's build sports a shimmed pump then?
He has a REAL need for the extra pressure

If you have too much oil pressure and its not needed, you can kiss your motor goodbye

If you have too much flow, its bad also.

stock pressure is fine. stock flow is low on the y sub series from simple design flaws in teh crank and block system

·
()*#$(*$
93 Legend L Coupe.
11,404 Posts
*shakes head* Shimming doesn't do much of anything once the oil warms up.

Properly porting a Y8 pump is perfectly fine. The Z6 is the best SOHC pump stock. Volume is most definitely the most important factor in oil pumps.

The BEST D-series pump is the DOHC D pump. It flows the most. This makes sense since it was the highest reving D engine from the factory with an oil hungry DOHC ball and socket rocker valvetrain.

OEM DOHC ZC pumps are expensive, though.

·
Registered
5,872 Posts
ZERO hodna soch oil pumps are BAD functionality wise.

Only drawbacks are flow potential, which is where porting comes into place

a d16a6 oil pump is perfectly fine, and a d16a6 block is VERY well oiled

·
()*#$(*$
93 Legend L Coupe.
11,404 Posts
The Y-series pumps are bad. Stock. When modified, they are fine. Saying differently is, I think, very ignorant since you seem to be ignoring the high percentage of bearing failures due to the designed in "efficiency" of the Y-series engines.

The A6 pump pumps less than the Z6 pump, but much more than the Y-series pumps.

·
Registered
5,872 Posts
You keep on saying they are bad

they are mechanically fine. They may not be matched very well to what the motor needs for flow and pressure, but the pump itself is fine, and can easily last a few hundred thousand miles.

I know quite a few people around here (area is infested with hmongs and import loving female drivers)

All the bearing failures I have ever came across locally were due to abuse and or pushing the motor beyond its factory limits without properly complementing it, the obvious being attention to the oiling system, or fluid levels, etc...

That being said, anyone who spins bearings and oil related basically caused it themselves for not paying attention to the information made available to them on places like these forums.

Im done beating the horse lol, I just think it ackward to keep saying its a bad pump when its simply not matched well to the motor and block design from the factory

<---- Will be running all d16y8 oiling for my d15b7 gasmileage build. Happily expecting 100k miles+ without issues, and the extra cooling effect of running all aluminum out-ways any potential oiling issues that wont exist on my lil low revving d15 no-tec!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts