Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
98 Civic EX
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im building my first engine which is a d16z6. Its for fun and just to learn how to do it. it will have turbo later on.

Ive ordered bisi moto pistons 75.05 and rods and am now stuck on the bearings deal. They are an essential part and don't want to mess up.
The original bearings have like 86k on them, are they reusable?
I have researched bearings and a lot of people recommend ACL due to them being loose and allowing more oil to the crank.
I have not had a chance to look at the old bearings because i couldn't get that devil of a crank bolt off the crank pully (Its at the machine shop now i have them doing it)
The machine shop is also boring 20 over for me and seeing if it needs to be resurfaced, as well as polishing the crank.
Well the main question is: can i use the old bearings? should i?
and if not should i use acl even though they all come the same size, standard?
Confusing subject for me.

· Registered
See above...
16,164 Posts
Get NEW "green" or OE sized bearings. You can use any brand you want. Did you provide the pistons to the machinist as well? Google plastigage and reasearch how it can be used to help you roughlt measure your oil clearances.

GL!

· Registered
4,213 Posts
What..

The only think OEM is is expensive.

My ACL race have been working great. I've had gassed down oil and 0 psi and super high oil temps and they're holding in there.

Suffered through 5000 miles of me street tuning it.

I've witnessed King bearings clearanceing out perfect on 145whp Na civic Going fine.

King bearings off ebay are super cheap and work great.

They've been in the business for a while and I feel the secrets are out by now.

· Registered
98 Civic EX
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
okay cool, looks like ACL bearings then, i hear a lot of good things.
I have not provided the pistons to the machine shop yet, i ordered them yesterday. They are waiting on me to bring them in.

As for cyanide, I'm on tour in Hawaii and i told the shop i was looking to get them bored to .05 over factory and he said "okay 20 over" then i said no .05 over factory which is 75.05 and he said "yeah i know 20 over" so i agreed with him, don't know if its a different measurment! haha but they aren't doing anything until they have the pistons.

· Registered
98 Civic EX
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Get NEW "green" or OE sized bearings. You can use any brand you want. Did you provide the pistons to the machinist as well? Google plastigage and reasearch how it can be used to help you roughlt measure your oil clearances.

GL!
Thanks i have the gadge, just have to do a little more research on using it.
I have a mechanic next door who has done this his whole life who will look over my work. He told me he wasn't showing me, i had to read first then ask lol.

I appreciate all the feedback guys.

update: I get what you mean by the green ones now

· Registered
Civic/4Runner
210 Posts
Never reuse olde bearings, if its apart do it right and get new ones. Acl's are good. You can get oem spec or race spec. The race bearings give an aditional .001" clearance so you can run a heavier weight oil. And im pretty sure you mean 75.5 mm pistons not 75.05.

· Registered
98 Civic EX
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Never reuse olde bearings, if its apart do it right and get new ones. Acl's are good. You can get oem spec or race spec. The race bearings give an aditional .001" clearance so you can run a heavier weight oil. And im pretty sure you mean 75.5 mm pistons not 75.05.
yeah you right .5

someone just told me i should have got OEM ACL bearings, and the ACL race bearings are mainly for the drag strip. This true?

· Registered
98 Civic EX
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OEM bearings will cost double that of ACL's but you all ready have the sizes stamped on the block and crank. with aftermarket rods just get standard green bearings.
okay thanks, my question is, was it wrong that i ordered race bearings if im not using it as a drag car, just a daily driver and garage ornament?

· Registered
12 Posts
Just do some research on the viscosity of the oil you need to use with the race bearings. I used the race bearings in my f20c in my old s2000 with no issues daily drove it for 3 years it was cammed and tuned but not always drove really hard.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.