Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Two men shy of a group
99 civic sedan ex
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ok so i just started hearing this noise in my car the last week, it kinda sounds like sand or something in the motor (hard to describe). i guess the noise depends on the load of the motor, driving on a flat road it does it at about 4000 rpm but going up a hill bogging out a little it does it sooner at like 3500rpm, push the clutch in when cruising and rev it up and it does it at about 4000rpm but it barely does it when revved at a stop.

i dont hear a rod knock which most the spun bearing videos i watched had a terrible knock, maybe a pulley bearing or something or a heat shield? i just changed the oil tonight and no metal flakes were in the oil. i also removed the heat shields on the header and cat so i will see if the noise is there tomorrow

Edit- I was in a hurry to write this last night and forgot a few thing, this is a 99 ex sedan with d16y8 and 174xxx miles.ive owned this car since december and have taken care of it and driven it alot nicer than my last civic, i probably should have but i didnt change the oil until last night because when i picked it up the oil was clear

·
Registered
650 Posts
How's the transmission fluid? If it looks or smells burnt, or you've got metal shavings in it, then that could be the issue. If it doesn't do it at a stop (not in gear), then it's probably not coming from your engine.

·
Two men shy of a group
99 civic sedan ex
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How's the transmission fluid? If it looks or smells burnt, or you've got metal shavings in it, then that could be the issue. If it doesn't do it at a stop (not in gear), then it's probably not coming from your engine.
I havent checked the tranny fluid honestly, i left the car home today so maybe i will drain and refill tomorrow on my day off. It does make the noise at a stop if i rev it fast up to like 4500 but if i take it up slow it doesnt happen. This car since i got it i have noticed a lot more whine from the tranny than my last civic, almost like an auto tranny whine.

·
Two men shy of a group
99 civic sedan ex
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so i think i found the problem, i havent started the car in a few days and when i did yesterday it had a bad miss, i started it today to move it to my new house and it didnt miss. on the drive there i noticed the sound im hearing is a crackling and popping like electrical shorts, so i popped the hood and all 4 wires look like they have burn marks on them.

anyone know what might cause something like that? this seems to be the problem because it seems a lot more sluggish lately and seems to be getting worse each time i move it, i will be ordering plug wires from honda here soon anyways since i havent done a tuneup on this car yet. also will post pictures soon but right now im moving out and cant move into my new house for a few days so i will be camping for a bit.

·
Two men shy of a group
99 civic sedan ex
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a new set on order, I will not buy spark plug wires from an auto store because there always garbage in one way or another. I will post back when I get them

·
Two men shy of a group
99 civic sedan ex
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ive never heard of that but im going to assume so? My guess is only some of the spark is getting to all the plugs when around 3200-4000rpm depending on load, because I cant hear it really if i rev at idle

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts
pull your vtec solenoid and look in the screens for shavings, that will tell you pretty quick if you've lunched a bearing or not

·
Two men shy of a group
99 civic sedan ex
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
pull your vtec solenoid and look in the screens for shavings, that will tell you pretty quick if you've lunched a bearing or not
Thanks for the great idea i will check that out

·
Two men shy of a group
99 civic sedan ex
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok so new wires didnt fix the issue, so now I will pull my vtec solenoid and check for shavings in the screen when I get time. Any other ideas?

·
Two men shy of a group
99 civic sedan ex
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I checked plugs, cap, rotor and got new wires and still a big loss in power but no cel, the car has only misfired once and it didnt throw a code. Took it to a shop and had them test drive and he said it doesnt sound like an internal bearing but he thinks it might be a pulley bearing, I guess thats my next step is remove all accessory beltsand see if it makes the noise

·
Registered
650 Posts
I did have that happen on my 91 civic. A/C compressor started dying, got very noisy. I just took the belt off, and left it at that.

·
Two men shy of a group
99 civic sedan ex
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok so I just hooked up my timing light to check it and it was all good, I has the service connector jumped and the car was warmed up. I had no CEL but I backed the car up about ten feet and the cel came on, I shut the car off and restarted it and the cel stayed with a code 8 for tdc sensor. Can the tdc sensor be replaced or do I need a whole distributor? Could the noise im hearing be a bearing in the distributor maybe?

·
3,983 Posts
Ok so I just hooked up my timing light to check it and it was all good, I has the service connector jumped and the car was warmed up. I had no CEL but I backed the car up about ten feet and the cel came on, I shut the car off and restarted it and the cel stayed with a code 8 for tdc sensor. Can the tdc sensor be replaced or do I need a whole distributor? Could the noise im hearing be a bearing in the distributor maybe?
yep, it definitely could be... my del sol had the same problem when it's dizzy bearing was going out - total loss of power when warmed up between 2-3k rpms

·
Two men shy of a group
99 civic sedan ex
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Great news then hopefully I have found my problems, now hopefully I can find a good distributor for cheap

·
3,983 Posts
before you replace it, pull your current one off, disassemble it to the point where you can take the middle bearing plate and dizzy shaft out, and check for side to side play. my bad one had about 2 mm side to side, I swapped another bearing plate+shaft in from a d15b7 dizzy I had laying around and it had no play at all.

the bearing plate+shaft piece should be the same from 92-00 D-series, so if you have any dizzies laying around you can cannibalize them for the parts.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts