Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not to long ago I was unemployed and things weren't looking good. I went to my local Career link and did everything I could, took test, training, upgrade my resume. Finally after so much work, I did everything that was asked of me so that I had a chance to go back to school and they will have paid up to $5500 for me to go back to school/trade which I wanted to go for welding.

No here is where the whole things turns to shit for me.
- I asked them when I can get started with the welding classes,
- they told me you have to look for a job still.
- I said, so why I went thru all this training and test for.
- you still have to look for a job
- what if I find a job, what's gonna happen with me going for welding?
- Then you don't get to do it, since you got a job.
- Only jobs I find are the ones I'm trying to move away from cause they don't pay much and they only thing they do is suck the little life out of you.

So I went on my quest for a job, funny thing is they gave me a letter for me to show to potential employer, with an incentive that anybody that will hire me they will get $5500.

What a bull crap, I didn't get to go to school but the place that I work for got that money for nothing cause part of what they have to do is train me and they haven't done that at all, I HAVE TRAIN, AND LEARN EVERYTHING MY SELF so far.

I'm a Supervisor Coordinator for a janitorial company, I have to make schedule, that involve, day time, night time, and weekends. So i'm literally on call 24/7. So if somebody doesn't show off, I have to go.

I'm in charge of keeping inventory and ordering supplies. I have to do monthly reports for all the people I work for since we work with regular staff and people with special needs. I have local as well as state contracts to take care off, and if anything goes wrong is my neck on the line. I'm also responsible of all the vehicle.

I have to do contracts, meaning if somebody wants ours services I have to do an evaluation and an estimate and come on with a figure and hopefully be competitive to win the contract.

I have to do performance appresial and quarterly reports to the executive director and board of directors. As well as give right ups and take disciplinary actions if it comes to it, but also have to be ready to cover that person in the event of suspension/fired.

I have never worked in a place to disorganized in my life, a place that if something goes wrong you damm if you do damm if you don't. I'm in stress all the time, even when I leave for the weekend.

It doesn't matter how much you do to stay ahead, there's something that is gonna come and fuck everything up and its only gonna affect me. I have soooooooooooooo much in my plate that I feel like saying fuck it and just walk out. but I think about how tuff is out there for a job and it helps me stay against my will.

And the list goes on and on and on and on. Oh and almost forgot, all this for the incredible amount of $13 an hour. My year has pass, I have only missed 3 days off from work and not a sing of raise or anything just more responsibilities keep being add it to my job description.

So be careful what you wish for, I always wanted to be a boss, a supervisor, and so far my experienced sucks big time. Even my wife is telling leave the job but I'm so afraid to be struggling again that I have put up with it. I'm so stress out that I feel like I'm gonna get a heart attack.

I feel like just calling it quits, and hopefully with the experiences I have learn I can land on a job that is not as stressful as this one is being.

GOD PLEASE HELP ME OUT.

·
Registered
same
1,881 Posts
Then this is what you do, go find a new job and then walk on this place. It's actually easier to find a job when you have one than when you don't. Also save money for Welding school so you can do what you really want.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I already started searching, that's the only good thing of working second shift instead of day shift, you get to apply for jobs and go to any interview without missing days of work :-(

Yesterday we closed out do to snow, but while everyone was sleeping/resting with no worries I had to go out and check the roads and talk to all the managers to determine whether a want to send out my crew or not.

9:30 came and I got a phone call from my boss to ask me if I was ready for tomorrow, and they drop all this complaints on me.

-Are the floors done
-Half of the floor is done since last week(other half is a cafeteria that gets used throughout the day)
-Is the set up for Bingo set up (Big fundraiser event)
- Base on the information I got from all big boss, second in charge (being there 15 years), Maintenance (being there 7 years), the supervisor before me (being there almost 10 years) now working in the kitchen, and no one knows how this set up it supposed to be done. But is ok for Jimmy to have everything done and set up.
- I have half of the room done where this activity will take place, I have 5 rows of tables and chairs set up to what makes sense to me, but I know its not going to be right anyway but at least is better than nothing.
- Just did my first contract without any help, in the contract it mentions that we need at least two weeks after proposal has been sign for us to get things ready. Well because this new place has nobody to clean it due to the lady doing it having a family emergency the want us to start right away. I'm still training the person that's going night shift which now is having second thoughts about working nights.

I haven't slept since last night, just thinking how shity this day is going to be, and how many insults i'm gonna get today.

Let the fun begin!!!

·
Registered
844 Posts
It's actually easier to find a job when you have one than when you don't.
I hear this statement all across this great land. Now nothing against the hoove but I just believe this to be completely inaccurate. my last half dozen jobs spanning over a decade all required quitting or being laid off to even attempt to find a new job. Such as now I work 8am to 5pm M-F I have Never ever been to a interview for a potential job outside that time range, neither has the majority of the work force.

·
Registered
1995 Honda Civic Ex
361 Posts
Good profession. I was working at a dealership that went through a $12,000,000 renovation. There was a 30' steel bead that was cut to the incorrect size so they had to cut the beam and weld it back together. The weld work cost $10,000. 1 stinking beam 10k.

·
Premium Member
2005 Legacy GT
1,754 Posts
Keep your head up. You sound like a resourceful fellow. If nothing else the experience you will gain from this (the contracts, managing a crew, etc.) will translate forward and be useful. Those skills will also open up jobs you can apply for believe it or not, and manager/supervisor always looks good on a resume. We've all had to work shit jobs that we didn't like ... consider it a stepping stone, or a bump in the road (choose your metaphor for insignificant annoyance). Just breathe, have some peppermint tea (it's good for stress) ... you will get through this and emerge triumphant.

·
Registered
EG8
1,055 Posts
$13... You can easily find something else using your managment experience. You need to look broader.

Look up factory companys that are looking for a office manager or something. With jobs its about key terms. Do you have an offical state employment website? In Fl we have one that ranks our skillset and education for "best fit" or "qualified". So now the difference is they can't not consider if you got the check marks through the system. There is even a best fit search.

You can even work at Gieco at that rate as an agent. There's a bunch of city jobs for inspectors and etc that go for decent pay. I help make resumes better... Pm me your resume,there could be lots of juicy stuff that you left out.

I got my bud a 50k job, who had zero experience in his field that had just graduated college from. Not even an internship or anything...

Vocational training is good, but you also need to have a good idea where to point to and how to fit your experience into their needs.

I'm doing drafting and only really looked at "mechanical drafting"... That was a poor decision because I could have had a $12-15 an hour job at Gerdau(concrete rebar designer/detailer) straight out of high school (vocational certificate) instead of BS-ing with minimum wage...

I play with complex diagrams of a huge plant... I used my wiring diagram experience from here to persuade them that I can do this job (Process flow diagrams and Process and Instrumentation diagrams are very similar to schematics) . You have to use everything that you have to make a stronger case.

Don't think that's the best you're going to get... That mindset will keep you EXACTLY where you are. Different job, same shit.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know the pay wasn't good, but the experience I was getting was what I actually wanted out of this job and slowly but surely I'm getting it.

You are right about the resume, as part of my training they show me tricks to make you resume stand out. There's this website that pretty much you type your job description or you might see a job that looks like the same thing you are doing but the wording is so fancy and way more professional and attractive then you just cut and paste.

There're lots of good jobs out there that when you read the description you said to you self that's what I been doing, or I know how to do that, then you read the education level they ask for and there goes your chance. You be surprised to know that your work experience on the field can count as much as having a associates or even a bachelors degree if you can prove that experiences you have picked from different jobs makes you the right candidate for the job.

I have to upgrade my resume and hopefully I'm lucky enough to find a job with a company that takes pride in actually training their staff.

I'm sick of dealing with this cold weather, and my wife and I would really like to move to some place warm but jobs are the thing holding us, specially me since I know my wife will find a good job easily, is my sorry ass that I'm worry about.

·
Registered
EG8
1,055 Posts
Well then why don't you move here! And really utilize the system I'm talking about. I didn't graduate yet either. I went looking for internship experience and ended up snagging this job because the person I filled in was moving up in the company.

Anyway, the only thing that holds you back from finding something else is yourself. Your own doubt probably can show through in the interview if they know how to look. You keep beating yourself up my dude.

If you haven't been interviewing at least in the same way that you're trying to convince me, then that's at least part of the issue.

And with the resume web tool. I've never seen it but I'm dead serious about my resume being jam packed... it used to be stupid like 600+ words (that revision got me the job at least).

I've added my new experience, and short-handed a lot to barely 400 words... 50 revisions later, now every sentence is jam packed with info, and obviously I cut out some stuff but make sure to bring it to the interview...

I've read your stuff here and don't view you the same way that you view yourself.

https://www.employflorida.com/altentry.asp?action=indguest&whereto=jobs
The only issue is that you need to know what county you will be in. But if you do their annoying resume dance, it will grade you and show if you're a good fit to the employer.

Also found this today:

·
Registered
844 Posts
Well then why don't you move here!
To Florida? they can't even tie their own shoes down there. I tried the FL thing twice for speedweeks and once for the snowball. long story short Florida is called LA (lower Alabama) for a reason
worst advice on the net

·
Registered
EG8
1,055 Posts
Lol I think there's good potential. And really it was more geared towards the employ Florida system since he's worried to be "thrown out the window" due to pure inadaquate requirements... (I haven't looked) But I'm not sure of other websites that have said feature.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good stuff Mr. Fodo

Florida has always been in our mind, love the weather. Moments like this is when I wish it was just me or me and my wife, taking a risk will have been a lot easier. Now with 3 kids is more stuff to consider.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts