Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I've had my Bisi replica/Vteckidd header for about a month and it started to show uneven discoloration despite proper cleaning prior to startup. Not really a fan of the discoloration, I decided to pull a page out of the old hot rodder's book by using BBQ grill paint. It is extremely durable and usually lasts longer than actual header paints from rattle cans.

After taping off and cleaning with mineral spirits, I hit it with this - which is a semi-gloss finish. Good for 1200 degrees.

Finished dry product after 2 coats:

I'm extremely pleased with the results since it was spot on for what I was going for. Looks like a poor man's jet coat :p I'll keep this updated with how the paint holds up.

P.S.
Here's how much shaving you have to do on your EK A/C compressor bracket in order for this header to fit:

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
a/c bracket is also the lower torque mount

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How long have you had that header, no cracked welds? Why did you cut the AC bracket instead of just taking it off?
Installed for about a month with no cracks. Welds look great on it. It should be just fine considering it's a replica so it doesn't have Bisi's infamous crap welds. To boot, my eBay header I've ran for 5 years is just as solid as the day I got it. Nothing wrong with a reliable knock off :)

Left the a/c bracket on to keep that torque mount, as was mentioned.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I've used that paint on mufflers and brake drums. It holds up fairly well, but the finish turns more flat black over time.

·
Registered
840 Posts
my question is with cutting and shaving and you keep your ac compressor and use this type of header? looking at how it bends i don't think there is any way to keep PS

·
Registered
840 Posts
is there any way to keep the ac compressor or is that a no no?

·
yellow bar for me
viper blue 92 eg
3,572 Posts
i had a vtec kidd rmf narrow replica and it lasted me for 8 months with no issues. i sold the motor 6 months ago, and the guy is still using it today with no cracks or issues. paid 350 for mine and recieved it within 2 days.\\

that bbq paint looks really good. i may try that at some point

1 - 20 of 20 Posts