Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Same as above
5,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about relocating my battery to the trunk but going with a larger battery to support my 2 amps. right now I've got the stock battery, a 300watt amp for my front speakers and a 500watt amp for my sub. power drain is noticeable at higher volumes. instead of adding another battery in the trunk i'd like to just relocate a larger one. I'll be boxing it appropriately and running he correct gauge wiring to the front. I'm just wondering what size/type of battery would work best.

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts
get a capacitor, batteries aren't great at taking shallow hits like you want it for.

and to answer your question, the biggest you can get.

·
Registered
Same as above
5,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I have a capacitor already. Ive been told that adding a second battery in the trunk would be better than any capacitor...

The biggest huh? Like an rv bus deep cycle battery i have sitting at the shop? lol

I was thinking of going with 0ga welding cable with the most strand count to run to the front.

·
3,983 Posts
okay which of these is the problem:

the voltage drops when the bass hits but comes right back
the voltage drops when you're parked and listening to music for awhile
the voltage drops when your car is on+music for awhile

·
3,983 Posts
I have a capacitor already. Ive been told that adding a second battery in the trunk would be better than any capacitor...

The biggest huh? Like an rv bus deep cycle battery i have sitting at the shop? lol

I was thinking of going with 0ga welding cable with the most strand count to run to the front.
like one of these is probably the biggest you can practically fit in a car

4D format.

·
Registered
Same as above
5,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You dont need a bigger battery, you need a better one. Xs power for example. Also capacitors are garbage and useless.
so ive heard regarding caps. XS power is a tiny battery is it not? I also want to be able to park and listen to the radio without fear of my car not starting.

·
3,983 Posts
so ive heard regarding caps. XS power is a tiny battery is it not? I also want to be able to park and listen to the radio without fear of my car not starting.
the ultimate protection against that is to have a second battery you can isolate from your system and will never drain down, then switch it in when you need the extra power

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
Optima red top,2 gauge to starter,4gauge to fuse box and amps and a 160 or 180 amp alternator is what I'm using with the same watt amps you have and I don't have a problem. I've even used the stock honda size battery with no problems. Hids,heat on full blast,music bumping.

So what I think you should do is upgrade your alternator and get a new battery.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Yeah capacitors are just bling. Xs power makes all kinds of sizes, stock civic size too. I have had a couple now, fuckers are heavy, and if you leave you lights on overnight your car will still start in the morning!

·
Registered
Same as above
5,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Optima red top,2 gauge to starter,4gauge to fuse box and amps and a 160 or 180 amp alternator is what I'm using with the same watt amps you have and I don't have a problem. I've even used the stock honda size battery with no problems. Hids,heat on full blast,music bumping.

So what I think you should do is upgrade your alternator and get a new battery.
why not replace the 2ga and 4ga and just run one 0ga to the front? my amps are already on 4ga.

·
3,983 Posts
Right and find a large enough amperage relay so it charges while the car is running but isolates it when the engine stops with an override switch
you could do it with just a diode and a SPST switch instead (the switch would have to be fairly beefy though)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts