Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i relocated my battery to the trunk works great but if the car is off and i turn on the radio for like less them 5 min the battery will drop to 9 watt..

my question is: when relocating the battery do i need a battery better them the regular for civic?

·
Poop Sock
wrx & slut rex
3,798 Posts
so i relocated my battery to the trunk works great but if the car is off and i turn on the radio for like less them 5 min the battery will drop to 9 watt..

my question is: when relocating the battery do i need a battery better them the regular for civic?
why are you jammin in the car in the driveway haha? thats just what happens man. if you want me to get technical I'd say the voltage has dropped so much because you've increased the length of the cables therefore increasing the resistance of the electrons. you're giving your battery blue balls, prolly shouldn't do that...

So does your car actually start on 9v!? because i can tell you mine sure doesn't.

·
Registered
96 civic coupe d16y7
262 Posts
GL finding the problem

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
why are you jammin in the car in the driveway haha? thats just what happens man. if you want me to get technical I'd say the voltage has dropped so much because you've increased the length of the cables therefore increasing the resistance of the electrons. you're giving your battery blue balls, prolly shouldn't do that...

So does your car actually start on 9v!? because i can tell you mine sure doesn't.
i get bored working on my car without music lol and nop the car doesnt start after that but if i dont play music at all the car will turn on everyday without any problem...

any type of battery that u guys could recommend me?

·
Poop Sock
wrx & slut rex
3,798 Posts
idk if a battery will help you on this one. if you have to dough then you might as well get that optima yellow top. but the best thing to do is to BUY BOOMBOX FOR YOU'RE GARAGE AND STOP USING YOU CAR LOL. gl hombre.

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX
6,676 Posts
Oddsey are good bateries.

Go a couple of sizes bigger for extra capacity for the sound system. How much bigger depends on how much the sound system draws and how long you want to play it for what else is running, like aybe an electric fan, and how good the rear mount installation is. Did you use big enough cables. Did you ensure the teminals were clean and tight and big enough.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
The length of cable doesnt really make that much of a difference. Was the battery draining down at all before you did the relocation? You need to figure out if you have a draw in your system. If the battery drops to 9v in 5 min or less either your battery is junk or you have something else going on. I can let my shit run for an hour while working on my car and it still fires up. If you find out it is the Battery hit up
Dmc971989 on here I think he still has the hookup for XS power batts.

·
Registered
Same as above
5,975 Posts
The length of cable doesnt really make that much of a difference. Was the battery draining down at all before you did the relocation? You need to figure out if you have a draw in your system. If the battery drops to 9v in 5 min or less either your battery is junk or you have something else going on. I can let my shit run for an hour while working on my car and it still fires up. If you find out it is the Battery hit up
Dmc971989 on here I think he still has the hookup for XS power batts.
what do you mean the length of wire doesn't matter? the longer the wire the more resistance. The more resistance the less the voltage. That's why you need to run thicker wire the further the distance to get the same voltage at the end. When I was an electrical apprentice I saw a perfect example of this with outdoor lighting like the shit rich people stick in their front yard. The really rich people with huge backyards where you have to run wire over 100 feet... outdoor lighting like that uses DC power just like cars, who ever installed the old lighting at the place ran small wire all the way up the hill. The lights got progressively dimmer the further down the wire they were. we came in and ran thicker wire to solve the problem. The lights at the end of the wire were just as bright after we were done. The best thing to do is use a voltage drop calculator to find the best size wire to run.

·
my dd has 1800 ftlbs of torque
peterbilt
3,890 Posts
use at least 6awg maybe 8
what size wires you using?
what connectors?

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX
6,676 Posts
You need the correct size wire for the amps you draw at maximum draw.

The longer the distance and the lower the nominal votage, the bigger the cable for the same amps as you can less afford the voltage drop that comes with the resistance as the current flows.

·
Poop Sock
wrx & slut rex
3,798 Posts
The length of cable doesnt really make that much of a difference. Was the battery draining down at all before you did the relocation? You need to figure out if you have a draw in your system. QUOTE]
i disagree with that first part. im no magician with electrical but ive taken a few classes and im confident in my electrical know how. but i do agree with that second part. thats deffenitly a possibility.

what do you mean the length of wire doesn't matter? the longer the wire the more resistance. The more resistance the less the voltage. That's why you need to run thicker wire the further the distance to get the same voltage at the end. When I was an electrical apprentice I saw a perfect example of this with outdoor lighting like the shit rich people stick in their front yard. The really rich people with huge backyards where you have to run wire over 100 feet... outdoor lighting like that uses DC power just like cars, who ever installed the old lighting at the place ran small wire all the way up the hill. The lights got progressively dimmer the further down the wire they were. we came in and ran thicker wire to solve the problem. The lights at the end of the wire were just as bright after we were done. The best thing to do is use a voltage drop calculator to find the best size wire to run.
"the longer the wire the more resistance" This is a FACT. good example.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
this thread is full of lolz...

resistance/voltage drop from thin wire is much less of an issue with DC current than it is with AC. while im not going to say it isnt possible i will say it isnt likely.

OP: do you have some type aftermarket sound system?

or any type of aftermarket electrical device hooked up to you battery?

where did you ground your battery to in the trunk? or did you run a negative wire all the way back up front?

also, what type of wire (size, length) did you use when relocating the battery?

if you could answer those questions for us we will be able to help you figure this problem out much faster

thanks in advance,

Derek.

P.S. i do still have a few D5100r's (same size as OEM civic batt, 3x's as strong) if you decide to go that route.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
this thread is full of lolz...

resistance/voltage drop from thin wire is much less of an issue with DC current than it is with AC. while im not going to say it isnt possible i will say it isnt likely.
Exactly what I meant DMC, I figured the OP at least did the battery relocation correctly and upgraded wire size. And either way I doubt adding 10-12Ft of wire is the problem, The OP either did something wrong on the install or has underlying issues. And if you read my post correctly I said It doesnt make MUCH of a difference (at that distance).Either way you should run at Least 4ga with a fuse and be done.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Exactly what I meant DMC, I figured the OP at least did the battery relocation correctly and upgraded wire size. And either way I doubt adding 10-12Ft of wire is the problem, The OP either did something wrong on the install or has underlying issues. And if you read my post correctly I said It doesnt make MUCH of a difference (at that distance).Either way you should run at Least 4ga with a fuse and be done.
yeah... i dont dissagree with you

i bet its a grounding issue tho, Civic are Unibody vehicles so sometimes you cant get a good ground in the trunk due to shifting body/structural parts... whenever i had issues with this i would just run a dedicated ground wire back up front to the alt casing (true ground)

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
yeah... i dont dissagree with you

i bet its a grounding issue tho, Civic are Unibody vehicles so sometimes you cant get a good ground in the trunk due to shifting body/structural parts... whenever i had issues with this i would just run a dedicated ground wire back up front to the alt casing (true ground)
Yea sometimes it is a bitch to find a ground, the one on my Rex seems to be working good to the frame but I also ran 0 ga and did the big 3

·
Registered
99 ek
722 Posts
I was going to suggest the same thing, the length of wire isnt going to matter unless you have like 1000 feet of it, a small multi-meter would do you wonders and you could do alot of these test, but try and answer Dmc971989 questions and that way these guys could point you in the right directions....btw what have you tried so far to try and fix the problem?? did u change the bat, test voltage reading for a time duration, etc ??

1 - 20 of 34 Posts