Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Meat Popsicle
91 CRX Si
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not a welder, I don't claim to be. I took metal shop 10 years ago and sucked at MiG then too. I have a basic MIG welder with shielding gas (not sure what type) and 4 heat settings and 9 speed settings.

I'm trying tack weld some exhaust flanges to some stainless pipe for my exhaust. I just need good small tacks while fitting as my buddies dad is going to TIG it for me. The problem I'm having is that the tacks aren't penetrating the thicker flange but they are penetrating the pipe.

Right now I'm at about 5 on the speed and 3 on the heat. Should I turn up the heat?

Any input is greatly appreciated

·
()*#$(*$
93 Legend L Coupe.
11,404 Posts
Make sure your ground connection is solid all the way through. Many ground clamps have loose wire connections and sometimes loose connections to the ground block in the welder. MIG is EXTREMELY susceptible to ground issues.

·
Meat Popsicle
91 CRX Si
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. What level of cleaning is required? I usually just brush the surfaces off with a steel brush but in some cases there are permanent marker marks on the pipe. Should those be cleaned off too?

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Clean with soap and water, wire brush.
If ly stock is rwther nastified sometimes ill do a dip in hydrochloric acid to clean her up real good.

·
Registered
same
1,881 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Clean with soap and water, wire brush.
If ly stock is rwther nastified sometimes ill do a dip in hydrochloric acid to clean her up real good.
Cmon were talking about corner of the garage welding here, you dont need soap and water, a used rag that your to cheap to throw away just yet will work fine. Sharpie marks are fine, dont worry about that.

I do try and wire wheel everything I can before welding. Having the settings correct and MAKING adjustments when you notice (dont just chug along shitty welding) will go along way.

·
Meat Popsicle
91 CRX Si
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ya I've gotten a lot better as I've been doing it over the last couple days. Heat all the way up, wire feed at 6, about 2 seconds on the flange and then carry over to the pipe for about a second or so. Seems to be working pretty good so far

·
The Great Weldini
91 civic
8,901 Posts
pictures?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts