Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello people. I have a question regarding setting base ignition from the distributor regarding an h22 which is 15 +/-2 degrees. It has 3 points on the flywheel when the timing light is flashed. The middle says 15. If my pointer points to the lower mark (the one towards the front bumper), does that mean i'm advanced to 17 degrees or retarded to 13 degrees. Looking forward to any helpful responses, thanks.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
I am going to help you answer your own question. The engine and pulley are spinning counter clockwise, and the pulley has 4 marks. If you turn the engine by hand and watch the marks go buy you will see the 4 marks rotate past you. You have the 3 advanced timing marks pass by, and then the TDC mark.

If the timing marks are Before Top Dead Center (BTDC, aka advance) which do you think would be the most advanced, the one farthest away from or closest to the Top Dead Center (TDC) mark?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input. The one closest to tdc mark(the one close to the front bumper). Am i correct?

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Thanks for the input. The one closest to tdc mark(the one close to the front bumper). Am i correct?
The one closest to the TDC mark is not the one that would be closest to the bumper. The one closest to the TDC mark would be the last of the 3 marks. So if the middle one is 14* BTDC then the one before it is?

The mark between the 14* BTDC mark and the TDC mark will be a number between 14 and 0, the one before it will be outside of that range. ;)

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
TDC, a, B c

0, 13, 15, 17 (if those are the marks)

The reason? counterclockwise like zero said. Think of a big arrow pointing straight up. if you rotate the engine the way it runs, you will be angling that arrow now at the radiator.

The easiest way of thinking about it is advanced degrees are negative, aka before zero.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
a, B, c, TDC

17, 15, 13, 0 (if those are the marks)

The reason? counterclockwise like zero said. Think of a big arrow pointing straight up. if you rotate the engine the way it runs, you will be angling that arrow now at the radiator.

The easiest way of thinking about it is advanced degrees are negative, aka before zero.
Just made an adjustment to the quote for clairity. If spinning the crank counter clockwise this is that is the order you will see the marks.

Matt, I was doing everything I could to get the OP to figure out the marks without posting the order. :)
I think it was more work that just spoon feeding it would have been.

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
Just made an adjustment to the quote for clairity. If spinning the crank counter clockwise this is that is the order you will see the marks.

Matt, I was doing everything I could to get the OP to figure out the marks without posting the order. :)
I think it was more work that just spoon feeding it would have been.
yep. BUt I saw flywheel mentioned, hence my order.

you are 100% if going by crank.

I will pretend I was very VERY tired lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts