Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I BAR my 89 DOHC ZC in my 91 hatch? Somewhere I read you could as long as it meets the 91 smog requirements and somewhere else i read the motor has to be the model year or newer. I live in california if that is a factor.

·
Two men shy of a group
99 civic sedan ex
1,312 Posts
nope you cannot, like you stated the motor must be the same year or newer unless the car is smog exempt which it is not

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
nope.

what part of Cali do you live in?
Why not just go/stay complete D16a6? Or even better go up to a complete D16z6 swap?
Socal. And I've been ZC for a year already. But of course issues with smog and the popo and what not.

·
\/ apply baby lotion here \/
'98 Civic 4 Door
11,260 Posts
Socal. And I've been ZC for a year already. But of course issues with smog and the popo and what not.
What city of socal lol

You shouldn't have no problems with police. They don't check that. Smog should be easy to pass if everythin is within specs. Post pics of car n engine bay?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
What city of socal lol

You shouldn't have no problems with police. They don't check that. Smog should be easy to pass if everythin is within specs. Post pics of car n engine bay?
Bakersfield. They're real big on popping hoods over here looking for swaps. And the ref doesn't know how to just look at the head and see that it's an 89? I know there's no way to vin it since its a jdm motor.

·
Asshole
4,112 Posts
nothing really....the 88 chassis was the vehicle that received the zc swap cuz it was newer than the chassis
So what your saying is what you posted has absolutely no relevance to this thread right?

90-91 civic/crx CAN NOT pass a BAR inspection with a DOHC ZC in CA.

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/replace.htm said:
Japanese Replacement Engines
Used engines imported from Japan can be used as replacement engines as long as the engine being used has been identified as functionally identical to the original engine. Please refer to the engine importers catalogue to determine if a replacement engine is legal for installation in your vehicle.

Engine Changes
Engine changes are legal as long as the following requirements are met to ensure that the change does not increase pollution from the vehicle:

The engine must be the same year or newer than the vehicle.

The engine must be from the same type of vehicle (passenger car, light-duty truck, heavy-duty truck, etc.) based on gross vehicle weight.

If the vehicle is a California certified vehicle then the engine must also be a California certified engine.

All emissions control equipment must remain on the installed engine.

Vehicles converted to 100% electric drive, with all power supplied by on-board batteries are considered in compliance with the engine change requirements. All fuel system components must be removed prior to inspection. For additional information contact the ARB helpline at (800) 242-4450

After an engine change, vehicles must first be inspected by a state referee station. The vehicle will be inspected to ensure that all the equipment required is in place, and vehicle will be emissions tested subject to the specifications of the installed engine.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts