Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can a bad tps cause the engine to idle high and sometimes surge? like this is what happens. i start the car it will idle around 1800 and then drop to aroun 600 rpm then surge 600-800 and if im driving then put into nuetral, it will idle around 1800 and do it again.

i checked the tps sensor and it put out a .65volt on closed and at wot 4.9. i tried to move the tps to get it around .5 on closed but it wont so i think i need a new tps sensor.?

·
Registered
91 crx HF/67 jeepcj5
285 Posts
my friend's accord did that and it was a temp sensor on the head

·
Registered
99 Civic SE 4 Door
293 Posts
use wd-40 spray around the vacuum hoses, the gaskets, anywhere. if the engine revs up more when you spray the wd-40, there's your leak; if it is a leak.

anyone wanna add anything else to check?

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hmm alright ill try all these things tomorrow. im just pissed its happening a month before i got to take it in for emissions lol

thanks for the help :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
If the IACV is new does the cooling system have an air pocket in it?? I know I had to raise the front of my car up and run it with the rad cap off at temperature and rev it up to release the air.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok so i checked the tps again this morning and i got it to adjust to .51v on closed throttle and at WOT now only goes 4.56v. which it shouldd be reading close to 5v. so i think i need a new tps... getting the tps voltage to .51 on closed stopped the high idle and pulsing.

·
Registered
943 Posts
ok so i checked the tps again this morning and i got it to adjust to .51v on closed throttle and at WOT now only goes 4.56v. which it shouldd be reading close to 5v. so i think i need a new tps... getting the tps voltage to .51 on closed stopped the high idle and pulsing.
Around .5-4.5 should be the range. Sounds like that is good.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Adjust it:

http://www.integra.orcon.net.nz/tps

·
Registered
510 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts