Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1990 CRX SI
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This morning my car started doing this strange thing where whenever I come to a stop AND/OR slow down from speeds greater than or equal to about 25mph, the engine stalls. I did a search and looked at a few threads pertaining to this sort of thing. I looked at 2000redCIVICsi's thread about a stalling when stopping or slowing down. I'm thinking that with all these given symptoms, its gotta be either the IACV or the fuel pump. When I prime the system before I drive, I hear the hum of the pump energizing so I know its working to some extent atleast, maybe the sock is bad...

Motor is new with less than 2k miles as well as the TPS, temp sensor, main relay, fuel filter, spark plugs, spark plug wires. I just got a new tranny installed 2 days ago (Friday) and the guy who did it went over and inspected a lot of stuff after the install. He said at one point he had to unplug the connectors behind the dizzy in order to do something. He told me this today after I told him about this issue I'm having. He just replied with telling me to check all the connections around the dizzy and make sure they were good, which they are. I took my IACV off today to look at it, even tho ive cleaned it out like twice with carb cleaner since ive had the car running.

This issue is super fucking annoying having to start my car after about every stop:TD:

I tried to post a pic of the IACV after I removed it but the upload kept failing

·
Registered
1990 CRX SI
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I forgot to mention too, my idle on this motor has always sucked ass since it was rebuilt anyway. On a cold start it will shoot up to around 1000 rpm to sometimes 2000 rpm and then it will kinda bounce up and down. When it reaches operating temperature, it idles at like 400-500 rpm.

·
Registered
1990 CRX SI
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
High compression d16z6 with a 10.5:1 C/R (compression is 230 psi cylinders 1 and 4 and 240 psi on 2 and 3 to give you an idea). ECU is stock P28... or atleast I believe it is, that's what the last owner told me

·
Registered
90 CRX
1,054 Posts
You may try pluging the vac hose going to your brake booster to see if you have a leaky boost or bad check valve. Also don't go too fast and make sure you have plenty of room to stop. No vac, gonna be harder to push the brakes, but it can be done.

I can't help myself, I'll take a shot of Mac n cheese on the rocks in a martini glass with two straws please!!

·
Registered
1990 CRX SI
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My tach is pretty off. Once the car is warmed up, my tach reads like 400-500rpm. While running, we also hooked up a timing light just to make sure and the computer said it was reading the engine speed at 900rpm-1000rpm at idle. Gonna try getting my TB cleaner and see if that fixes anything. Still should probably check that Fast idle valve too.

·
Registered
1990 CRX SI
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Doing some more research and I was wondering if the crank sensor or knock sensor were bad, could they be other reasons this is happening?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Would a bad torque convertor cause this?
Is it throwing code?
If its not throwing code then its either vacuum or mechanical issue...

·
Registered
1990 CRX SI
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Would a bad torque convertor cause this?
Is it throwing code?
If its not throwing code then its either vacuum or mechanical issue...
no CEL codes, and no cracked vacuum hoses to my knowledge

·
Registered
1990 CRX SI
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Guessing you don't have a fuel pressure gauge installed?

Can you keep it running if you give it gas in neutral as you slow down?
Yes I can, but I have to be lightning fast in order to get that to work and sometimes I'm just not fast enough. Id rather not have to worry about doing that tho, I just want it fixed cause its a pretty bad problem imo

·
Registered
80 Posts
it really sounds like an intake manifold gasket leak.
maybe you can do me a favor if you haven't already.
start it when its cold and spray starting fluid around your intake and vacuum lines if you haven't already. If you have a leak the idle will smoothout but rev up on its own like it has all kinda power now.
That will test for any vacuum leaks...
If that don't work. I would ask your tranny guy if the torque convertor is causing this.
If that don't work Then maybe a retune because (and im guessing here) you don't know what is all done with the ECU??? correct.

·
Registered
1990 CRX SI
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
it really sounds like an intake manifold gasket leak.
maybe you can do me a favor if you haven't already.
start it when its cold and spray starting fluid around your intake and vacuum lines if you haven't already. If you have a leak the idle will smoothout but rev up on its own like it has all kinda power now.
That will test for any vacuum leaks...
If that don't work. I would ask your tranny guy if the torque convertor is causing this.
If that don't work Then maybe a retune because (and im guessing here) you don't know what is all done with the ECU??? correct.
What kind of fluid you talking?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Starter fluid or Ether. Comes in an aresol can.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Check the fuel pump sock. If its clogged or somehow not connected it will do this and only get worse as you use more gas. If you fill the car up and the problem stops, its the fuel pump sock.

·
Registered
1990 CRX SI
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Check the fuel pump sock. If its clogged or somehow not connected it will do this and only get worse as you use more gas. If you fill the car up and the problem stops, its the fuel pump sock.
It is due for a fill up, I think its at 1/4 right now. It's in the shop right now but ill call down there and run that by them

1 - 20 of 63 Posts