Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 03 civic EX with codes for both o2 sensors and catalyst inefficiency. Sometimes the car will lose power and slowly drop to 200RPM and then after that it will slowly pick up and start to drive normal again. Sometimes it just bucks around. doubt both o2 sensors would be going bad at the same time so I am leaning towards a clogged cat. However the car will run fine for days with out an issue, wouldn't a clogged cat have issues all the time? I haven't had the car long enough to keep track of MPG etc. It has 114k on it. I bought it last week.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The CEL has only came on once and hasn't came back on although it still bucks and stalls with out any CEL coming on. It only does this when the car is warming up from a cold start does it pretty much every time now. Other than that it only has a bit of a rough idle. When I had the code pulled it gave codes for the upstream and downstream o2 sensors and also the catalyst inefficiency code.
I am pretty sure it is the cat however the bucking makes me think it could be a coil pack going bad and throwing the codes for the cat and o2, is that possible? However if the misfire was bad enough to throw a code for the cat wouldn't I get a misfire code as well?
Also, any tips for getting the exhaust off? I've broke 2 14mm sockets now and I can't get a torch or cutting wheel down in there.

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
The CEL has only came on once and hasn't came back on although it still bucks and stalls with out any CEL coming on. It only does this when the car is warming up from a cold start does it pretty much every time now. Other than that it only has a bit of a rough idle. When I had the code pulled it gave codes for the upstream and downstream o2 sensors and also the catalyst inefficiency code.
I am pretty sure it is the cat however the bucking makes me think it could be a coil pack going bad and throwing the codes for the cat and o2, is that possible? However if the misfire was bad enough to throw a code for the cat wouldn't I get a misfire code as well?
Also, any tips for getting the exhaust off? I've broke 2 14mm sockets now and I can't get a torch or cutting wheel down in there.
Broke to 14mm? Get better sockets.
And a factory bolts on the car I have always cut in the middle and replace them.

And the first o2 sensor can cause alot of problems like that, it can lean it out or run it rich and cause the bucking.

Misfire code is normally due to spark not going off at the right time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts