Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i built my motor (not meaning to last 4 ever but to have fun for a while), i used napa main and rod bearings because at the time i was broke. i no most hondas have color coding on the bearings but when i oredered them they didnt ask for any of that so i said screw it. i got the engine in about 3 months ago and its always had a little noise till it is warmed up then its fine. anyways im trying to figure out wats wronge with it.

Its making a very quite ppppsssssshhhhhhhh ppppppsssssshhhhhhhh pppppppsssssshhhhhh pppppppsssssssshhhhhh noise. dosent sound major right now but its going to get worse if i dont fix it. its defentaly in the bottom end and i think its the rod bearings becasue i can move the rods a little. not just like a budge but it actually moves both ways. o ya and when its warm all u hear is that sound, then all the sudden everynow and then u hear a slight tick, tick, tick about 5 times then it gos away.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Sprayin95Hatch said:
ok i built my motor (not meaning to last 4 ever but to have fun for a while), i used napa main and rod bearings because at the time i was broke. i no most hondas have color coding on the bearings but when i oredered them they didnt ask for any of that so i said screw it. i got the engine in about 3 months ago and its always had a little noise till it is warmed up then its fine. anyways im trying to figure out wats wronge with it.

Its making a very quite ppppsssssshhhhhhhh ppppppsssssshhhhhhhh pppppppsssssshhhhhh pppppppsssssssshhhhhh noise. dosent sound major right now but its going to get worse if i dont fix it. its defentaly in the bottom end and i think its the rod bearings becasue i can move the rods a little. not just like a budge but it actually moves both ways. o ya and when its warm all u hear is that sound, then all the sudden everynow and then u hear a slight tick, tick, tick about 5 times then it gos away.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.
You kinda answered your own question...unfortunately you went cheap on a very important part. Those tolerances are supposed to be down to the thousandths of an inch. Did you plastiguauge the napa bearings to see what the clearances are?

Sorry to tell you bro but if i were you i'd tear it down and replace with either honda or acl. (honda for me). Or at least replace the rods...that you can do from under the car.

Vince

·
Registered
936 Posts
if you didn't measure your bearing clearances when doing an engine overhaul then most likey you've just fucked up your bearings. this is especially true when you replace bearings. tear down and check.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ya sadly i didnt plastiguage it like i should have. anyway im going to order new bearings for my other motor so how would i figure what size rod bearings i need when my rods are in a motor right now?if i was to take one rod out, measure it, put it back in would it be alight until i get my other motor done? thanks

·
Registered
936 Posts
you have to used the table provided to you from the helms. the rods and main bearings are number and color coded. you'll have to plastigauge your stock ones and then from there get one size bigger or one size smaller according to your bearings needs.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok thanks but would there be any difference in clearance from me plastiguaging the stock rods then installing the scat rods when i get the bearings?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts