Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
91 civic hb
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i recently found that my battery is going dead in the mourning and if it sits for more than an hour if ive only driven it for a few minutes its draining somewhere. i got it checked at pep boys they said it was fine but when i hooked a booster to it it cranks right up and reads between 9 and 10 volts so its obviously low i know my alternator isnt bad cause i did the hillbilly check by removing my negative cable while its running and it didnt die could i have a bad starter or could it be because of a bad dizzy?? i have no clue

·
I no longer haz teh pink eye! Iz got STINK EYE
3,332 Posts
never use that hilbilly test, you could arc the battery when you take it off and mess up the computer in the car. just a warning, if your only getting 9 to 10v with the car running id say its the voltage regulator that went bad in your alternator.

·
Registered
91 civic hb
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that voltage is when its sitting not started when its running then its up to normal and itll stay at that voltage all night i end up havin to either jump start it with a battery pack or roll start it

·
3,332 Posts
well when the battery is sitting the voltage should be 12.6vols, when running id like to see around 14v while running the car. hmmm id take the alternator in and have it testd

·
Registered
91 civic hb
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
`i just hooked up an old charging system analyzer to it the one with the four led lights and it blinks not charging and low battery when the car is off then nothin lights up when its running

·
3,332 Posts
hmm im not sure bro maybe someone else can chime in ive never used that analyzer before. if your alt is good and your battery is going dead maybe something is shorting to ground and draining or something is staying on. if you got a voltmeter or know someone who has it you can do a current draw test and go from there. best of luck :td:

·
Registered
98 Civic EX
3,189 Posts
how old is the battery and alternator?
it might be a problem with both, but definitely sounds like a bad battery.

·
Registered
98 Civic EX
3,189 Posts
wait, is it the alternator is as old as the car and the battery is only a year old, or is the battery the same again as the car? i got confused with that last statement...

·
Registered
98 Coupe & 98 Hatch
135 Posts
When you hook up a volt meter to car battery when the car is running does it read somewhere around 14.4 volts when you give the car a little gas? Also after the car is sitting for a few hours what does the battery voltage read not running? You might have a wiring problem where something is causing a draw.

·
Registered
91 civic hb
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
when drive it reads normal when i stop and shut it off it reads around 9 or 10v i put the old style light on it and it tells me the battery is bad pep boys told me it was fine but i think it has a bad cell

·
Registered
98 Coupe & 98 Hatch
135 Posts
Get a voltmeter. Start the car have a buddy give it a little gas you should be getting 14.4ish across the battery. Aly less and you have an alternator problem. if it is 14.4 and then you turn the car off and right away can't turn it back on you have a battery problem. if the battery slowly drain over like 8 hrs you have somthing drawing current = eletrical problem, or if you have a battery maintaing 10volts for like 8hrs the battery has 1 bad cell

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
test your battery when car is dead,should be at 12v,turn car on,test alternator should be at 14v steady,if not and its spike bad alternator

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Get a voltmeter. Start the car have a buddy give it a little gas you should be getting 14.4ish across the battery. Aly less and you have an alternator problem. if it is 14.4 and then you turn the car off and right away can't turn it back on you have a battery problem. if the battery slowly drain over like 8 hrs you have somthing drawing current = eletrical problem, or if you have a battery maintaing 10volts for like 8hrs the battery has 1 bad cell
Like gavin said test the battery and alternator. If you have a slowly draining battery do a parasitic draw test test This is a good DIY to it How to Find a Parasitic Battery Drain | eHow.com

·
Registered
91 civic hb
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
apparently looks like when i put the new dizzy on it fixed whatever battery problem i had starting and everything is perfect now dont know what happened but im happy

1 - 16 of 16 Posts