Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
same
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to find out if my speaker is blown or my amp is bad. I suspect the amp because one side is not functioning well and the bad sound goes away after a few minutes. I have infinity reference 6/9's powered by an old Fosgate 600.4 amp. Only one side was working the speakers correctly so that's why I'm thinking the amp is going out I have the front and rears wired in at 2ohms and it's only the rear passenger one that seems to do it. Again this seems to clear up once everything "warms up" so I'm still leaning towards the amp. Let me know what you guys think

·
Registered
HONDA
1,221 Posts
I'm trying to find out if my speaker is blown or my amp is bad. I suspect the amp because one side is not functioning well and the bad sound goes away after a few minutes. I have infinity reference 6/9's powered by an old Fosgate 600.4 amp. Only one side was working the speakers correctly so that's why I'm thinking the amp is going out I have the front and rears wired in at 2ohms and it's only the rear passenger one that seems to do it. Again this seems to clear up once everything "warms up" so I'm still leaning towards the amp. Let me know what you guys think

Simple way to test any speaker get the 2 wires from speaker + and - and touch then to a battery like car batery or battery to a drill. Just tap the wires to the battery. The speaker will do a little pop if it makes the pop speaker is good if It doesn't it's bad. Listen to pop sound quality if it's a nice snap or some ugly crackle

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
same
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok. It's just so weird I'm also going to hook up another amp I have laying around. This is a known good amp too so I'll give it a try. Someone in another forum while searching said that the caps could be going bad hence why after the amp runs for a bit it clears up. We'll see.

·
Premium Member
2005 Legacy GT
1,754 Posts
I have a tweeter that's crackling/working intermitently. One of the solder joints on the tweeter had failed so the wire had bad/intermittent connection. Just another thing to look at.

·
Registered
same
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
True. I did do crimp connections ( flame suit on). I'll get in there and look at it. Solder if I have to

·
Registered
same
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did some adjustments on the stereo because the tweets in the back were sounding too bright. Also lowered the bass out of the speakers themselves. The system is more reliant on the subs now for bass and the seem clear now. I plan on swapping the amp out anyways and while it's out I'm gonna resolder the speaker wires to the rear deck. Plan on installing my 6.5 components up front. What do you guys think about placement. Up high or by the speakers? I'm thinking up high but I'll have to breakout the fiberglass.

·
Registered
same
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So they are mounted low by the speakers not in the door pods up high. I have a cb7 accord so there is no factory tweeter.

·
Premium Member
2005 Legacy GT
1,754 Posts
Mine either I modified the stock grills. IIRC you want the tweeter as close to the center of the woofer as possible for optimal sound distribution. I think that's part of the reason the "all-in-one" mount the tweety bit in the center (the other being simplicity).

·
Registered
same
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm just going to mount them low and angle them up so they point towards the middle about chest hieght. Should keep them nice and clear because the coaxials currently are being overpowered by the rears and dissappear into the sound field.

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
Did they ever make q form kick panels for your car? The way the mount are supposed be ideal. If not maybe you could use the design and glass something similar.

·
Registered
same
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was thinking about that. I haven't seen the kick panels for my car. I'm just going to mount them together in the door.

·
Registered
same
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well decided to pull the trigger and ordered a new Fosgate 4ch amp. Should be here by Tuesday. Then I can dial in the sound much better as well as mount my components up front.

·
Registered
same
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I may have to have one of you guys post them up for me. I've never been able to figure that out. Lol

·
Registered
27 Posts
Id mount the tweets lower so they dont get as harsh right in your face.

Or in the apillar but off axis facing not directly at you

·
Registered
same
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I haven't installed them yet but with my new amp I turned the gain down on the back speakers. Fixed my imaging alot. Sounds so much better. Need to add more bass to the speakers because only the subs are driving the low end and I've lost some of my mid bass as a result.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts