Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so auto zone said my alternator is only putting out 7 volts or amps even when accelerating

I'm not getting power to anything in the car luckily i got it home

before i buy a new alternator is there anything i should check first like grounds or fuses?

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
Get yourself a voltmeter.
Check the battery car off and then car on and running.

Off it should be around 12.4-.6volts
while running it should be around 13-14volts.

Most of the time you can check the transmission ground, battery ground, and check the belt to see if its slipping.

i dont trust autozone for checks like this

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well the starter won't crank when i turn the key..
when i jump it it starts
driving low rpm was hesitant
turned lights on and rpm dropped same with heat
cluster interior lights not working

they battery was at like 8 volts when the car was off so its not fully charged at all

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
Take the battery out and have it charged.
Then once you get it back start the car and check the running voltage.

I have had to many people go to autozone and they tell them its the alt or battery and it ends up being the other one.

The alts wont output full voltage its the battery is really low.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok so today i took my batt to have it charged its a good batt fully charged
i went to pull the altinator and noticed that the green plug was unplugged so i plugged it back in put the fully charged batt on and it started right up

however the batt light stays on now and my idle stays at like 1500 and cold started at like 2000 somthing its like 800 higher then normal and at idle it has a little bounce

i checked the batt w the volt meter and its reading 11 somthing now

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
ok so today i took my batt to have it charged its a good batt fully charged
i went to pull the altinator and noticed that the green plug was unplugged so i plugged it back in put the fully charged batt on and it started right up

however the batt light stays on now and my idle stays at like 1500 and cold started at like 2000 somthing its like 800 higher then normal and at idle it has a little bounce

i checked the batt w the volt meter and its reading 11 somthing now
It being unplug could be because you work on the car before or the plug has gona bad and just came loses.

And if the battery was fully charged and your only gettign 11 something i would think the alt would be gone.
but did you check the voltage before you put it in?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok so i drove it to autozone and the same thing happend cluster headlights everything turned off the battery reads like 8 volts now..

·
Registered
15 WRX STi
76 Posts
ok so auto zone said my alternator is only putting out 7 volts or amps even when accelerating

I'm not getting power to anything in the car luckily i got it home

before i buy a new alternator is there anything i should check first like grounds or fuses?
Autozone has that 3 in 1 tester tell the associate to scroll through the menu on the screen and have him select the voltmeter and if says that it doesnt have one tell him his full of BS because both Autzone and Oreilly Auto Parts Use the Autometer AUTBVA-200S. I know this for a fact because i worked at oreillys before lol Good working alternator would fluctuate between 13-14 volts while car running anything less than 12v alternator is starting to go, car off battery should stay at ~12.3v-~12.5v if it drops below that the battery has a dead cell.

If battery was good but alternator was starting to mess up, good chance it probably messed up your battery since its reading so low while car is on....might need to replace both

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
arite it was kind of hard to plug the green plug in how would i know if its doing its job?

what happens if you drive with the green plug out?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
if i jump the car and its running and im not getting any power to anything wouldnt that be a bad altinator?? since the battery is really only used to start the car and when its running doesnt everything run off the alt?

·
They call me Awesome!
4,447 Posts
If your battery is holding 12 volts and you can hook it up to the car and start / drive it, then it's likely not the battery!

The fact that the battery light keeps coming on means that your system isn't charging the battery, I.E. the Alternator isn't doing it's job.

What's happening is that you're charging your battery manually, starting up and driving your car using the charge on the battery alone, and your Alternator isn't recharging the battery. When you get to wherever, the battery isn't going to have 12 volts because you've used some of them in driving; hence why when you get to Autozone it's only showing 8 volts.

From what I've read so far, I'd say you have a bad alternator.

·
Registered
1997 Civic DX Hatch
983 Posts
how long has it been since you replaced your battery?
if its been for ever then its not gonna hurt to get a new one.

also your issue sounds to me like alt. replace it and move on with your life. if you buy the reman from autozone you can just take it back if it doesnt fix the issue.

i would start there. see if it works if not replace battery if not then its wiring somewhere most likely.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
im just gona get my alternator rebuilt.. but the battery shouldnt drop charge from 12 volts to 8 in a few hours no?

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
It shouldn't drop charge but if the alternator isn't maintaining the proper voltage then the battery can and will drop charge.

The green plug on the alternator is the field control and charge system check circuit. If it is unplugged the "battery"(charge) light will be on.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ok so i took the alternator out and got it tested
it failed across the board
so i got this one rebuilt it lasted a while should i have it rebuilt again??
i dont trust the refurbished ones since thats the one i had to have rebuilt..
or would u try to find a brand new one if they even make them anymore?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts