Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anybody on here running a backdoor intercooler setup?
i'm thinking of cutting off the inlet on the hot side of my IC (johnnyracecar) and rewelding it on the back. this would change the piping from the turbo from looping around through the fender and bumper, which is now about 1.75 ft long, and instead be about 6" from the back of the IC to the turbo.

this is on an ej6 civic btw.

has anyone else done a similar modification to their intercooler or just bought a backdoor? if so i'd like to see the setup and lmk how much spool time you lost.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
you free sometime this weekend? how about sunday? and you know how to hook up an msd 6a w/ external coil? last time i tried i fried my dizzy, the first time i really fucked up anything in my car.

lmk bro

C

·
0 Posts
yeah im free, also why the msd, you dont need it for the power level your at.

·
The Master Fabricator
2,038 Posts
I have a backdoor IC

Picture's not great but its in my vbpic gallery
http://www.d-series.org/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=big&p=2858

I got mine from boostcoolers on ebay. His shop is in montreal and I had him custom make it backdoor (no extra charge)

My recommendation (Depending on whether or not you want to cut your bumper support) is either a 6 or 8" core height * 3" thick, by 20" long.
Get the offset end tanks

Looking at it from the front:
*****___________________
**** /.|=========== |O |
*** /...|=========== |...|
...__....|=========== |../
...__....|=========== |./
.......__________________/

the "O" in the diagram is the backdoor inlet. It's on the back of the IC. I'me just trying to show to the ideal placement. Mine is like this, which works but requires more cutting:

....._______________
..../.|=========|..\
__..|=========|..|
......|=========|O|
__..|=========|..|
....\______________/

W

·
0 Posts
Could probably be a little longer than 20". Also make sure that all the bends stay as smooth as possible. Will spool a little faster for sure.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i don't care about centering it, anyone know the length of the 6" johnnyracecar?
and josh do you have dump tube mandrels for a 38mm (i think its 1.5") i dont even need it into the downpipe just beneath the car

and the msd is just plain cool. multiple sparks for 20* of your crank rotation. can't possibly hurt right?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
and gpny thats like exactly the setup i'm going for as long as i can move my FMIC over enough to make it worth the time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts