Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone seen threads on these set ups i seen them on super drag cars but how do they perfrom on street cars do they improve spool time?
second is can u put a bov on the that side of the intercooler and still have no compressor surge?

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Almost any time you shorten the length and amount of piping it will improve spool time/decrease lag

·
R2.....Zap Balls
94 Ex coupe
5,186 Posts
has anyone seen threads on these set ups i seen them on super drag cars but how do they perfrom on street cars do they improve spool time?
second is can u put a bov on the that side of the intercooler and still have no compressor surge?
if you're talking about putting it on the hot side of the fmic you can do it. It will still do the same thing for you. I know a few people that did it and say why waste the nice cooled air when you can blow off the hot air lol.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
mine is before the IC

works no different

·
My sig is longer than yours
2,163 Posts
the thing with mounting it before the IC is that when it blows off, all the air rushing towards your throttle body has to stop and change direction to flow back out the other way. thats why theyre usually mounted as close to the TB as possible.

·
Registered
45 Posts
the thing with mounting it before the IC is that when it blows off, all the air rushing towards your throttle body has to stop and change direction to flow back out the other way. thats why theyre usually mounted as close to the TB as possible.
agreed, why do people even bother putting the in front of the intercooler?

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
maybe because it doesnt matter if the air has to turn around. the tb is closed therefore it doesnt affect engine performance, i dont really care on the flow out of my blow off valve since either way all the air is coming out.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Well, wouldn't this help maintain some boost? Sounds to me like if all of that air has time to come all the way back to before the intercooler, by then you should have more air compressed thereby pushing some of the previously compressed air back into the engine?

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
that makes more sense then anything in this post. a lot of people just go by what they hear over the internet.

·
Registered
94 civic dx
1,876 Posts
actually the air doesn't have to "turn around" if the BOV is mounted before the IC. it's just at a standstill before the TB and the new hot air made by the compressor is what leaves.

think about a tube that has one end closed off. and the other end is open. you put your mouth on the open end. and put a hole on the tube closer to you. and you blow - more than likely the air you're blowing in is what leaves because the other air makes it's own little pocket. i wish i could draw this. good thinkin!

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
i understand what you are saying, whether or not thats how it works idk.

·
Registered
CRX, Wrangler
397 Posts
I have no real-world experience with this subject - so take it easy on me.

I think you guys are overestimating the amount of air that actually gets blown off by a BOV.

Their purpose is to remove the positive pressure from the charge piping, not to remove ALL of the air from the charge piping, right? The air won't reverse direction - it doesn't have to travel from the TB back to the blow off valve - it just has to reduce the pressure to 0PSI.

The location of the BOV is irrelevant in my opinion, as long as it removes positive pressure from the charge piping, which it would do at any location in the system.

I also think that the removal of hot air, rather than intercooled air is a good idea - but, probably does very little with regard to performance.

-Des!

·
Registered
1,010 Posts

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
You also have to think some cars come from the factory, like some turbo nissans with them mounted on or very close to their intercoolers,hell subaru bov's are attached directly to the intercooler.

·
Registered
98 Civic
1,245 Posts
the shorter the charge pipes the better and im guessing that mounting the bov on the hot side works just as good if not better than mounting it on the cold side or Full-Race wouldnt sell there back door intercoolers with the bov flange mounted right on the hot side end tank of the intercooler.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I don't know where the blow off hot air instead of cool myth came along. When the fully blown race Honda's go down the track they are full throttle shifting, the throttle body never shuts and the car never enters vacuum.

IE, they're not blowing off any air until they let off, at which blowing off hot or cold air is completely irrelevant.

·
Registered
19 Posts
You also have to think some cars come from the factory, like some turbo nissans with them mounted on or very close to their intercoolers,hell subaru bov's are attached directly to the intercooler.
Yeah, but think about how stock Subaru turbo setups are. The charge pipe from the turbo to the intercooler is like 1 foot long and there is very limited space to work with back there. The intercooler is connected directly to the throttle body as well. There's really no way to mount their bov anywhere else.

And about that black dsm bov attached to the hot side pipe on that 5g civic, those bovs stay open at idle and in neutral and suck in air so I'd be weary of driving in the rain like that.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts