Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
total goofball
1994 Civic coupe EX
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

nice to have back on the road again.

Plans are to keep it running and clean it up a bit.

:TU:

·
total goofball
1994 Civic coupe EX
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
overall impressions is: new engine ( Y8 ) feels strong and no complaints, but the old engine ( Z6 ) which was stock as far as I know, felt waaay faster, pulled upto 7400rpm & the vtec x-over was louder...

·
Certified O.G.
A Shitbox
5,605 Posts
So, your vtec went BWAAAAAAAA.

And now, it goes bwaaaaa.

Assuming I understand your statement correctly.

·
total goofball
1994 Civic coupe EX
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
added my short ram back on, gonna do a K&N recharge on the air filter tomorrow, and double check ignition timing; I run 93 octane, so I'm going to set it to 18*

·
total goofball
1994 Civic coupe EX
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
did the K&N recharge kit today, and after reading that stock d16y8 ign. timing is 12*, set it at 14*; so far so good.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
What ECU are you running in the car? If you are running a tune for a Z6, time the engine to what ever ur Z6 was timed to.

The only reason D16Y8s run "12 degrees" is because thats how the OBD2 ecu is setup. The ECU has 12 degrees in it at the idle section of the map, and the whole point of syncing your timing is so the mechanical dizzy and the value in the map are the same.

If you are still running a p28 or a z6 tune, the z6 tune will have 16 degrees in the map at the idle area, so if you set the dizzy to 12 degees, the whole shebang will be retarded 4 degrees. It would feel laggy for sure and less BWAWWWWAAAAA.

Hope that makes sense!

·
total goofball
1994 Civic coupe EX
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What ECU are you running in the car? If you are running a tune for a Z6, time the engine to what ever ur Z6 was timed to.

The only reason D16Y8s run "12 degrees" is because thats how the OBD2 ecu is setup. The ECU has 12 degrees in it at the idle section of the map, and the whole point of syncing your timing is so the mechanical dizzy and the value in the map are the same.

If you are still running a p28 or a z6 tune, the z6 tune will have 16 degrees in the map at the idle area, so if you set the dizzy to 12 degees, the whole shebang will be retarded 4 degrees. It would feel laggy for sure and less BWAWWWWAAAAA.

Hope that makes sense!
that does make sense, and yes I am running the p28 ECU

we had timing gun issues; so I really should double check again anyhow.

16 or 18 degrees?

we have 93 octane here in NJ so I was debating running 18*

also need to find dyno tuning in north or mid NJ

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
18 should be ok, but you might not even get a performance gain vs 16 degrees. IIRC an OEM Z6 is 16 degrees. An A6 Si engine is 18 degrees, IIRC...

Go with what the ECU is setup for, so in your case, a P28, 16 degrees.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts