Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a very clean 1 owner 1991 Civic DX hatch and am planning on doing an engine swap to either a D15B7 or D16Y8. I know what the D16Y8 looks like but what about the D15B7? I keep finding conflicting info on the type of valve cover the D15B7 has. I'd like to have the wrinkle black type finish to keep the engine stock looking (I know the D16Y8 has the silver cover).

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,635 Posts
why not go to a d16a6 and reuse all your sensors, all you'd have to do is source the ecu

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Those engines aren't really available with only 50k miles on them like the JDM engines. It would cost me 1K or better to rebuild one. But it's a good alternative, thanks

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
Imported engines are generally garbage. Mielage is nothing but a number. EXPENSIVE import engines are generally good, as the importer has cleaned it, checked compression, and possibly even ran it up to operating temperature at least once. hence the higher price.

Where are you getting a $1k rebuild cost from?

Its going to cost more to convert to OBD1 and swap an engine than it will to refresh a spare.

d15b7 is the OBD1 exact equivalent of a d15b2. Differences being the intake manifold and electronics. Else its the same motor used in 88-91 DX/LX cars

If looking for a cheap and reliable daily driver, do what Slo mentioned above. Find a D16A6 and pop it in. You can skip the electronics for now, and get it running with your current intake manifold and electronics. Just do NOT drive it hard when cold, as the O2 sensor will be relied on for properly dictating fuel trims with the extra displacement and the slightly more aggressive camshaft the D16A6 offers.

THEN, once it is running nice and tidy, simply grab a d16z6 intake manifold and electronics, and swap/convert to OBD1 for even more power and fuel economy.

Between the d16z6 and d16y8, the Z6 is a more reliable engine, and probably easier to find in good condition. They make nearly the same horsepower and have nearly identical cam aftermarkets.

May I make an odd suggestion? Save up some money, grab a F20B engine from ebay for $700, bolt up any H or F series engine from 90-2001 prelude or accord manual car (pick your gearing basically), spend $350-400 on GOOD quality H/F engine swap mounts, grab an engine harness from a manual civic or integra (integra preferred), make a few small adjustments, and BOOM, you have one HELL of a fun car for reasonable money. The F20B is a great high revving 2.0 liter that makes really good power. Makes even more power with a K20 intake manifold with a Chedda's adapter

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,635 Posts
with engine machine work, my build only cost like 1200.
that's h-beam rods, forged pistons, bearings, rings.
bored, honed, balanced, and spec'd out.

Reactions: 92CXyD

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
You went a bit further than most people though, as far as making sure all your T's were crossed and your I's dotted.

Not a whole heck of a lot of people will get everything fully balanced and such.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts