Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Civic Hatch EJ6
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
story:
It's been 3k miles since i rebuilt a manual d16y8 and threw it in my ek hatch. (crank and rod bearings, extended rods, vitara 75mm pistons, rings, valves, all new oem gaskets, chipped OBD1 P28 ecu from HAMOTORSPORTS) i know i shouldn't be running on this chip for so long, but i ran out of funds for the s300 and tuning by the end of the build and it's my daily... but i'm not sure if my problem has to do with the chip... maybe...

The Problem:
No check engine light. Most of the time, car will start with a short normal turn of the key. gets up to 1500 rpm and warms fine. after it hits operating temp, it drops to 200 rpm for about 5 seconds and moves up to ~600 rpm (warm idle) and is quite groggy moving around +/- 50 rpm each way.

Sometimes, the engine is hard to start (1 out of 10 times, usually i've noticed when the fuel level is lower in the tank, less than 1/4 tank). Sitting on the starter for about 4-5 seconds before it starts turning on its own. but i have to keep the gas on for about 10 seconds or it will stall out. after its able to live on its own, the idle is much lower after a hard start, sometimes sitting ~200 rpm at stop lights and will stay at the low idle the whole drive when i come to stops.

After either type of start i will also get pulsing in the idle (maybe every 5-6 starts this will happen), during warm up mostly (1200 rpm to 1800 rpm).

These issues seems to be very inconsistent. But the idle does drop very low when it reaches operating temp. every single time. That's the only consistency here. I was initially thinking IACV had air in it, but that would make it pulse every time, maybe fuel pressure regulator, fuel pump?. I was thinking about replacing fuel pump and regulator since that needs to be done anyways. Any thoughts would be helpful. Thanks,

·
B-series Destroyer
4g 4d civic
913 Posts
Check valve lash again.

·
B-series Destroyer
4g 4d civic
913 Posts
I'll double check, but i don't hear any noise of that nature. Like i said in the initial post, it runs like a champ under throttle.
Tight valves(bad) are quiet. Loose valves(good) are noisier.

·
Registered
2000 Civic Hatch EJ6
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tight valves(bad) are quiet. Loose valves(good) are noisier.
I rebuilt an engine, and have adjusted plenty of valves (tappets, shim over/under bucket). I think i know how valve lash works. I guess i should specify, i didn't hear any "excessive" valve noise.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts