Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
My car...or my truck
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have a 94 DX hatch, all stock drivetrain, I was toying with the idea of putting a D16Z6 head on my car, I'm going to get vertigo from all the reading I've done today. The topic that eludes me is if it smogs in CA or not. Seems like it would fall under "replacement" more than "swap", does anybody know if I'd have to BAR it? I checked their site (amongst many many others) and they detail the do's and don'ts of engine swapping, they don't discuss this at all.

I have a few other things I want to do to my car before I do this (brakes, rims and tires, and seats), so the build is not imminent. As far as making a plan, does anybody know what the limits are you can get away with in CA? Was tossing around the idea of doing a full D16Z6 swap at some point, just wondering if I could get near that level of performance for less money without taking a huge mileage or reliability hit. I'm shooting for a modest 120-130whp here, thinking mini-me (rywire, ecu, map, etc), port and polish, cold air, 4-1 header, high flow cat, Apexi WS...may want to consider at least doing rings and bearings on the bottom end, if not a full rebuild.

Thanks for reading,
Rob

·
Registered
801 Posts
I'm not in Cali, but I have strict smog here in Western PA.

The short answer is. If you do it right, have it timed right replace what needs replaced etc it should run pretty much identical to a jdm d15b, which in turn should emissions on the same as a z6. if you don't take your time or don't time properly you are gonna fail emissions. That said, the head swap most likely won't even be noticed by most people and it will be smogged under whatever model the car itself is..which is fine because i think all civics are blanketed under the same smog rules.

if i'm spouting FUD please correct me, this is just coming from conjecture.

·
Registered
982 Posts
technically it is not smog legal in california. you cannot mix and match heads with blocks even if from the same year vehicle. You will not be able to get a referee to clear it either because there is no way to set the proper limits to a motor that doesn't exist in their system.
However, you can do a direct swap with a complete Z6 as long as you keep the smog related equipement that originally came with the Z6. For that kind of a swap you don't even have to get it cleared by a ref, because the Z6 came originally equiped in your chassis type. So my suggestion is if you want vtec(im assuming that your reasoning for the minime) just swap the complete motor with ECU over and be 100% smog compliant.

·
formerly allnaturalrex
1989 honda crx si
4,639 Posts
pretty much your not allowed to swap heads but depending on how retarded the guy smogging it is you might get lucky but i say no.

·
Registered
My car...or my truck
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I'm not in Cali, but I have strict smog here in Western PA.

The short answer is. If you do it right, have it timed right replace what needs replaced etc it should run pretty much identical to a jdm d15b, which in turn should emissions on the same as a z6. if you don't take your time or don't time properly you are gonna fail emissions. That said, the head swap most likely won't even be noticed by most people and it will be smogged under whatever model the car itself is..which is fine because i think all civics are blanketed under the same smog rules.

if i'm spouting FUD please correct me, this is just coming from conjecture.
If I do this, I'm going to do it right, that's just who I am lol...I considered that if I just went ahead and did it, I would probably be fine, doubt anybody is even paying attention to such a slight of the official rule book. But, knowing my luck...

technically it is not smog legal in california. you cannot mix and match heads with blocks even if from the same year vehicle. You will not be able to get a referee to clear it either because there is no way to set the proper limits to a motor that doesn't exist in their system.
However, you can do a direct swap with a complete Z6 as long as you keep the smog related equipement that originally came with the Z6. For that kind of a swap you don't even have to get it cleared by a ref, because the Z6 came originally equiped in your chassis type. So my suggestion is if you want vtec(im assuming that your reasoning for the minime) just swap the complete motor with ECU over and be 100% smog compliant.
That's my "Plan A", just do a full Z6 swap, always keeping my eye open for an EX donor car, looking for one that's barely running, beat up, salvage titled, and cheap. Figure I can get a build-able motor and tranny, bigger brakes, rear discs and proportioning valve, front lower arms and sway bar, rear sway bar, etc off of it, put all my DX stuff on it and sell it for what I paid for it lol...

pretty much your not allowed to swap heads but depending on how retarded the guy smogging it is you might get lucky but i say no.
Sounds like swapping a head like this is a not allowed, bummer...could have saved a lot of money going the minime path. That's life...

·
Registered
140 Posts
I never really had a problem in NJ with getting my inspections done. I actually only had a guy tell me my seat was loose in my GSR. I showed him that all the bolts were holding the seat down, and he failed me anyways. I came back the following day and his buddy passed me.

·
Registered
My civic
2,340 Posts
Even IF you managed to find a "stupid" smog guy... you will more than likely fail the NOx portion of the smog test. But having gone through all the clean air car courses, and also being that im up to date on the 2010-2011 update, there is a bit of education going on to be a CA smog tech. Best of luck, id recommend going with a legit d16z6 swap and calling it a day. No hassle. Also dont get a d15b. They are no longer passing JDM motors as replacements in CA. Also be weary of your "high flow" cat, all replacment cats MUST have an EO sticker as of Jan 1 2010.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts