Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
94 dx hatch
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched but all I am finding is unfinished threads and incomplete info.

I am thinking of switching to a Y7 head on my beast7, does anyone think it would be benefical over my current setup (see sig)? I know I need to remove the oil jet from the block, and I can use B7 head bolts/studs except the top left corner I will need a Y7 bolt/stud, also use the Y7 cam gear and belt. If I do this I am planning on gasket matching the head to my z6 intake mani and a 4-2-1 header, which should help flow. Will the bump in compression compensate for the smaller cam of the Y7? I am going to be using a Y8 head gasket, with that static compression will be around 10.5:1. I would really like to hear from people that have actually done this but any help or pointers will be greatly appreciated, and this thread will be finished lol.

·
Registered
94 dx hatch
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i was thinking that but with the low end of my motor not being 100% I don't want to do too much until I can get a short block to rebuild and swap in. But then I might go with a 282 instead of a 272 lol

·
Premium Member
93 Civic del Sol Si
1,278 Posts
I have in fact done this exact build.

Some of the things you need to do you already know, such as removing the oil jet from the block. After you remove the oil jet it's ready to bolt on with your y8 HG. You will need the y7/y8 timing belt, and as you probably know your cam timing will be 4.5* advanced.

Here is the absolute BEST advice I can give you... Save yourself the hassle and the time and buy a y7 adjustable cam gear. I bought an AEM Tru Time cam gear and it was the smartest thing I did.

Also I used all b7 head bolts, they work because the y7 is a non-VTEC head. When you look at other "mini-me" swaps using a z6/y8 head they have to use the bolt from that specific head on the upper left corner because of the VTEC solenoid. But in this instance ALL the b7 head bolts will work with the y7 head.

This is also the PERFECT time to swap out for a better intake manifold such as the z6/y8/ and even the b7 intake manifold is better than the y7.

USE THE B7 DIZZY, it will work perfect and you don't have to mess with your engine harness...

And if you are worried about the cam size of the y7, the 272 does give great gains for the y7, and of course the 282 would be even better. But I probably would not bother with the 282 without doing some head work first.

Have any questions just ask, I did this swap in my Del Sol last year and it ran great until I parked the car for an engine swap.

·
Registered
94 dx hatch
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you notice a good power gain over the stock b7 head? Did you have an a6 cam in your b7? I have seen threads where people say they are going to do this but it never gets finished and nobody posts results.

I knew about the b7 dizzy, I just forgot to put it in the OP. That is good to know about the b7 head bolts, that will make it easier to gather parts!

·
Registered
same
1,881 Posts
the Y7 is essentially a z6 head without vtec so you will see some nice gains over the b7 the bump in comp will be nice too. but remember, get a TUNE! This will help you take advantage of your new setup and will yeild the best results. the R/S ratio coupled with a better flowing head will make her rev happy. not to mention the increase in comp. You should expect around 12-130 hp with this if not more. all comes down to the tune. and your bottom end should handle the increases just fine.

·
Premium Member
93 Civic del Sol Si
1,278 Posts
Did you notice a good power gain over the stock b7 head? Did you have an a6 cam in your b7? I have seen threads where people say they are going to do this but it never gets finished and nobody posts results.

I knew about the b7 dizzy, I just forgot to put it in the OP. That is good to know about the b7 head bolts, that will make it easier to gather parts!
Well, I did not get mine tuned but a y7 head on a b7 block with a OEM y8 HG. And getting my head decked .004" for flatness put me at 10.3:1CR. And at that CR you can run a stock P06 ECU, but I did use 91 octane gasoline to make sure I didn't have any issues. And with a header, stock exhaust, s20 B000 transmission, CAI in a Del Sol. I was faster than my friends 2000 Civic EX with exhaust and CAI in the 1/4... With a tune I would expect to be a bit quicker, but I did move onto better things after a little while.

·
Premium Member
93 Civic del Sol Si
1,278 Posts
the Y7 is essentially a z6 head without vtec so you will see some nice gains over the b7 the bump in comp will be nice too. but remember, get a TUNE! This will help you take advantage of your new setup and will yeild the best results. the R/S ratio coupled with a better flowing head will make her rev happy. not to mention the increase in comp. You should expect around 12-130 hp with this if not more. all comes down to the tune. and your bottom end should handle the increases just fine.
Bingo! I tell a lot of people this and they don't believe me... The y7 head is pretty much a z6 head without VTEC. I've never been a fan of VTEC in a d-series, so that is why I opt out for the y7 head out of all the d-series heads. And if what I read is correct, the y7 also has the largest valves out of all the d-series engines?

·
Registered
1994 del Sol S
1,103 Posts
I actually plan to do this swap in my del Sol too. I have all the parts kicking around, just would need to get a reground cam to top it all off. Always been a fan of te y7's, even though everyone says they're garbage... NoTec SOHC FTW!

·
Registered
94 dx hatch
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I did not get mine tuned but a y7 head on a b7 block with a OEM y8 HG. And getting my head decked .004" for flatness put me at 10.3:1CR. And at that CR you can run a stock P06 ECU, but I did use 91 octane gasoline to make sure I didn't have any issues. And with a header, stock exhaust, s20 B000 transmission, CAI in a Del Sol. I was faster than my friends 2000 Civic EX with exhaust and CAI in the 1/4... With a tune I would expect to be a bit quicker, but I did move onto better things after a little while.
I am planning on tuning it but not right off the bat, money is SUPER tight. I am planning on running 91 octane anyway and I don't lug any motor around town in 5th. The plan is to do a stock rebuild on a y7 head, mill if I have to, port match my z6 im and port match a 4-2-1 header, if funds will allow.

I want to street tune my setup myself but have no real knowledge of tuning, but I have been doin quite abit of researching. If this was a carb motor with no computer I would be set lol. I just need to find a better "how to" guide of the difference in the WOT and cruise parts of the map and how exactly to compensate for higher compression and a bigger cam.

·
Premium Member
93 Civic del Sol Si
1,278 Posts
I am planning on tuning it but not right off the bat, money is SUPER tight. I am planning on running 91 octane anyway and I don't lug any motor around town in 5th. The plan is to do a stock rebuild on a y7 head, mill if I have to, port match my z6 im and port match a 4-2-1 header, if funds will allow.

I want to street tune my setup myself but have no real knowledge of tuning, but I have been doin quite abit of researching. If this was a carb motor with no computer I would be set lol. I just need to find a better "how to" guide of the difference in the WOT and cruise parts of the map and how exactly to compensate for higher compression and a bigger cam.
Well... If you wanted to be REALLY different.. b7 block, y7 head, side draft carbs. They've been done before and are in the same relm as ITBs but are more practicle than ITBs. Just a thought.

·
Registered
94 dx hatch
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well... If you wanted to be REALLY different.. b7 block, y7 head, side draft carbs. They've been done before and are in the same relm as ITBs but are more practicle than ITBs. Just a thought.
I would like to run a set of ol side draft webers and an msd ignition, I could tune that thing till it was perfect lol. Man this is takin me back to when my dad raced dirt oval cars. My ol man taught me just about everything I know about cars, engines and racing. We always had a project to work on of some kind.

·
Registered
95 hatch
1,104 Posts
I have in fact done this exact build.
Also I used all b7 head bolts, they work because the y7 is a non-VTEC head. When you look at other "mini-me" swaps using a z6/y8 head they have to use the bolt from that specific head on the upper left corner because of the VTEC solenoid. But in this instance ALL the b7 head bolts will work with the y7 head.
Wrong. The z6 head bolts to the b7 block just fine without using a different bolt in the corner. It works with all b7 bolts as well.

·
Registered
94 dx hatch
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well i am going to go searching at the local junkyards in a week to see if i can turn up a y7 head that looks to be in good shape. I am going to strip it down and clean it up, check it for flatness and clean up the ports and maybe a little bowl work. Then a full new set of valve guides and seals. I am hoping to add a set of supertech valve springs with new hem retainers and clips. Buy that is only if money (read girlfriend) will allow.

·
Registered
94 dx hatch
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
Why worry about a cam? that Y7 topend and the added compression will make the car more responsive overall and have extra torque, especially since the air path is a lot better to the valves.

Forget the cam, get it running, and enjoy!

Im choosing the Y7 head for my build as well, I intend to do this very setup until I can source a solid d15b crankshaft this coming winter/spring seasons

·
Premium Member
93 Civic del Sol Si
1,278 Posts
Wrong. The z6 head bolts to the b7 block just fine without using a different bolt in the corner. It works with all b7 bolts as well.
This maybe so, but everytime I've swapped a z6 head on a b7 block I've used b7 bolts except for the one in the corner. Never tried using all z6 bolts so thanks for clearing up.

·
Premium Member
93 Civic del Sol Si
1,278 Posts
I would like to run a set of ol side draft webers and an msd ignition, I could tune that thing till it was perfect lol. Man this is takin me back to when my dad raced dirt oval cars. My ol man taught me just about everything I know about cars, engines and racing. We always had a project to work on of some kind.
I think side draft webers would be wicked sick in this build. I hope you might come around to that decision, we need something different in the d-series world than the normal ;)

1 - 20 of 119 Posts