Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sup everyone, im Matt... ive been registered here for a while, havent posted much since i was considering goin with a b-series. but ive made the decision to stick with my baby D. im just looking for some help from anyone willing to help me out. im a very theoretical person, so i like to have things planned out, then execute them according to plan, i dunno if that will help any explanations or what not.

lemme describe my current situation a bit.

i have a 94 dx b7 5spd coupe. and i also have an auto z6 that came out of my parts car with167k miles. i have the z6 pulled out of my parts car. its sittin in my garage with the auto tranny still attatched.

basicaly i want to rebuild the z6, and put it into my coupe and turbo it.
i dont know where to start. and also was wondering if there are any upgrades that i should consider while rebuilding the motor.( cam, pistons, rods) im not looking for a race car, but im looking for some cheaper upgrades that will help with reliability and with some performance.

i have the auto z6 ecu, and my 5spd b7 ecu to work with... i dont know if i need to buy a p28 for the z6, or if i can get the auto z6 ecu wiped out and set up for a 5spd trans.

most likely im going to utilize my b7 transmission for now... if i decide to upgrade the tranny, it will be to an lsd tranny.

im looking to produce enough power to give that impression of wow, thats a 1.6L sohc??? i dunno what hp range that might turn out, but i guess i want to start out with a turbo that will run maybe 5 psi to start out? but i want somethign that can be bumped up if 5psi doesnt satisfy me. i dont really know much about pricing for a full turbo kit with intercooler setup or anything. ive been tryin to do my research when im available to sit at a computer for a bit. but im more of a hands on learner. i want somethign that doesnt require a lot of maintanence, and something that will be very reliable. i dont have much time to piece together a homemade turbo kit, but the though of saving money is always nice.

if any1 can help me out, i would be greatly appreciative. u can contact me on AIM. this is going to be a drawn out project, so im hoping to find someone who can help me as i progress through my project, my schedule is pretty crappy, so i dont have much time to mess around with my car, and i have to commute about an hour each way to get to work. so i have to have my car running.

thanks in advance to anyone and everyone who can/will help me out,

matt

p.s.
if any1 has questions about anything about my situation, best way to contact me is on AIM, or leave me a private message here.

W

·
0 Posts
well if you want people to say that a 1.6l sohc then you want all motor killer because if a car is turbo i pretty much assume....well it turbo so its gonna be fast. if it was all motor then people would definitly be like what the. but naw stay turbo and upgrade your rod and pistons. with just these upgrades you can raise the boost pretty high and pull like.....230hp with the right tune.ecu you should get the p28 (manual) and have it chipped and read on the fun that comes with tuning.anyways the tranny is fine but later donw the road the lsd would be awesome but get the ex/si tranny.build you turbo,do buy a kit because it will cost ya more than building a kit, intercooler is a must. people are always sellin turbo on here and HMT shouldn't be hard CCFAB has manifolds. there is penty more you could do but this is basics pretty much

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
It is possible to have your auto p28 converted to a manual p28. 86-89 Integra rods work in D16's and can support over 200 whp. (info taken from Spring 2001 issue of Honda Tuning) If you go this route, the pistons from the Z6 are your best bet, as is using a 2-layer metal Y8 headgasket from Honda. Using that gasket will yield slightly higher compression(from about 9.2-1 to 9.4-1)but it will be a better gasket for your turbo setup in the long run. You should also get new bearings/rings/seals for the bottom end if you plan on having the motor last awhile on boost.

As for turbo setups and what-not, check http://homemadeturbo.com/

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks so far for the info you guys have provided. keep any suggestions, and any comments coming. im probably looking for about 180-200 hp, anything more i feel would definately cost more $ such as sleeving my block or reducing my reliability viewpoint.

thanks again,
matt

·
The H Badge is it!
91 crx
5,657 Posts
DirtyDEF said:
86-89 Integra rods work in D16's and can support over 200 whp.
i hope they work in d16's... 86-89 integras had d16's!

ur talking about 90+ integra LS rods, they have to be modified to work, but yes they work.

and as for pistons, vitara pistons from FJT on this board, honda-tech, or e-hatch.

and yes ur auto p28 ecu can be converted to manual.

·
The H Badge is it!
91 crx
5,657 Posts
Logikalfury said:
any thoughts on this turbo kit ebay ssautochrome kit

im lookin for some feedback as far as power, price, reliability?
the power is as far as the tune let u go, the price is unbeatable, but the reliability is way low.

SSAC turbo manifolds and turbos have a bad repuation to breaking/cracking.

if you want a reliable kit that is backed 100% by its maker, then greddy is a company to go with, a place called city-speed that can be found on ebay sells this kit for 1300 bucks, all you need is a blow off valve, intercooler and intercooler piping. and its made for the si/ex so its even more of a direct bolt on if you use your p28 ecu.

also in regards to your previous posts, people are making 300+hp on stock sleeves and stock cylinder head.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thats some good info to know about the 300+hp, sohc_rules, as far as the greddy kit, its 1300 without intercooler and piping... or a bov, where as the ssac kit has the intercooler with piping for 850 shipped. i mean honestly, i could care less about the name brand turbo kits, as long as it works with no errors or flaws. i guess you can call me cheap, but this is going to be my first turbo setup, there is always room to expand and upgrade. also including the thought of the turbo D not satisfying me, and me possibly wanting to go with a b or k series down the road.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
can any1 else provide some feedback or opinions about this ss auto chrome turbo kit
im not going to be racing this car or anything, its just going to be a daily driver, ive heard that ssac WAS bad, but had made a huge improvement and are actually very good now. but i guess you cant believe everything you hear.

anyways, lemme know anything. im defineately interested in this kit since it seems to be an excellent price for what it comes with.
thanks,
matt

1 - 9 of 9 Posts