Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone.

In light of the recent mechanical failure of my NA high-compression d16z6 motor, I'm actively considering options to replace the motor should I need to. For reference, my build was making a healthy 158whp and 116wtrq (Mustang Dyno). I believe I dropped a valve in cylinder 2 this past weekend at the track. I'll be pulling off the head this weekend to see the extent of the damage.

I have considered a b-series swap for a couple of reasons. They're very straight forward. I also like that I will be able to make equivalent power to what I was able to achieve with my build while maintaining Honda's factory reliability. My build was great but came with inherent risks.

The one thing I want to keep if I can is my transmission. It's a Japan sourced S40B000 with a Quaife LSD, M-Factory 3rd gear with stock 3rd to 4th, shorter 5th and a Synchrotech Carbon Synchro rebuild kit. It's an awesome setup. I don't want to lose it if I can avoid it.

Has anyone successfully made and sold a B2D kit?

Thanks.

·
B-series Destroyer
4g 4d civic
913 Posts
That's why I wanted a b swap. Stock GSR making 151whp and 114 wtq. Torque leaves a little to be desired, however i am beating on a stock honda engine. Its just going to keep taking it.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Asshole
4,112 Posts
No they're doing a plateless d block to b trans.
Op wants to do b block to d trans.

After all the time and money you spent it makes absolutely no sense to take on such a large project for no gain. It only made sense for the guy in Africa to do it due to supply and cost.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So.... I reviewed the information in the thread from our South African member. Me thinks it might be more work than necessary.....

I neee to pull that head off and examine my handiwork before I make a decision.

Thanks for the input everyone!

·
Registered
1996 Civic Type DX
4,167 Posts
If the D can't be saved or you just want to go for the swap anyways, take the hit on selling the trans and build a B trans, far more gearing options that way (MFactory has 4 ratios for 3rd, 4th and 5th plus 9 final drive options).

If it was me I'd fix the D and keep on keeping on.

·
Registered
152 Posts
So.... I reviewed the information in the thread from our South African member. Me thinks it might be more work than necessary.....

I neee to pull that head off and examine my handiwork before I make a decision.

Thanks for the input everyone!
it does look fairly involved, cheaper then a b series trans, but sometimes time is more valuable then spending a few bucks.

If the D can't be saved or you just want to go for the swap anyways, take the hit on selling the trans and build a B trans, far more gearing options that way (MFactory has 4 ratios for 3rd, 4th and 5th plus 9 final drive options).

If it was me I'd fix the D and keep on keeping on.
in his case, building a wild d would be a good idea as well.

but considering hes making 160whp and that seems to be the upper envelope of most well build d motors, to make more will take considerably more. more money, more time, more of a wild set up.

i make the same power, and to make more i feel id need to put alot more into the motor. and then what say make 180whp ? so easily obtainable with a b series motor of any configuration.

do we all love the dirty d. of coarse. but at some point when you reach the level some of us have, its a losing battle when it comes to hp vs $$. add to that a motor with such wild specs tends to be more touchy to drive on the street.

in either case Curlybandit, i look forward to what you choose. you know what im leaning towards, only because of what i explained above.

keep us updated.

stratton.

·
Registered
152 Posts
side note, back in 2009 or so when K's started getting big i was building nissans.

sr20's to be specific. i left the turbo world to build the highest whp all motor sr20 the world has ever seen.

i was the first to pave the way. so in short a 86x86 to 92x92 sleeved block, stroker crank, custom rods and 15:1 pistons, ported head, custom intake mani and header, kelford custom cams and the list goes on.

the motor ran, made 250whp, the highest n/a power of any sr20 motor at the time. goal was 300whp. shortly after it send a rod threw the block.

what did i learn from that build ? that those kinds of builds arent for your average car enthusiast, its for race shops.

many guys followed suit after, most met the same end as mine. 8 or so years later, almost no one builds these sleeved stroked motors.

one of the fastest most reliable set ups is running stock sleeves, 88x86, high comp pistons.

keep it simple, keep it in line with what you know works. you want a car that starts up and drives everytime you turn the key.

180-200whp d is way less reliable then a factory assembled b18c type r with a tune making 205whp and gobs more tq then a d.

stratton.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
^^

Thanks Stratton.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts