Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I've been doing some research about both of these choices for a while now and I've come to the conclusion that the B20Z gets about the same power as the factory bolt-on Greddy Turbo kit. So, now comes down to the price...I've pieced it out, and the B20Z swap will cost around $1200 or so with a B20Z engine, Si Tranny, LS ECU, LS Axles, LS Shift Linkages, LS Wiring Harness, and LS Mounts whereas the Greddy Turbo complete with intercooler will be around $2400 by doing the installation myself. Now, there are a few things that I am considering too...the first is that the Turbo Kit is easy to install and can be done in your driveway in around 8 or so hours, and the B20z is significantly cheaper and can also go farther. However, the Greddy Turbo kit can also give more power than the B20Z swap with a new Fuel Pump and perhaps a Hondata ECU. I'm leaning more towards the Turbo kit because it's fun to have a turbo and it's easier to do I think, but the B20z is just a hell of a lot cheaper and I can get some great power out of it too. I came here to ask you guys because I know I can get some good info. Please let me know your thoughts.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
If you are on a tight budget you should consider a homemade turbo kit as aposed to the greddy kit. Check out Homemadeturbo.com, lots of good info there. And if it were my car, I would turbo the D :wink:

·
Registered
12,272 Posts
b20z swaps arent cheap .. yea for 1200 you could have the block pistons and head ... but what about harness? ecu ? vtec oil feed line ? gaskets .. rods .. etc etc .. we are building a b20zvtec project outselves .. and we bugeted everything out to at LEAST $3,000 <-- also includes FREE GSR tranny and custom headwork .. cyc wall sleeving ... so , not trying to discourage you .. but to actually get that b20 producing a fair amount of whp , its gonna cost a bit ..

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i offer some advice as far as if your not fimular with boosting cars in the past, and this IS your main daily driver, then you may want to consider a "new" greddy kit over anything else. while the b20 swap is nice and all, by the time you finish doing it right your most likely looking at a $3500 swap. that includes engine, trans, ecu,. harness, and repalcement parts like timming belt and otehr betls, hoses, water and oil puump as well.

now get the greddy kit and get a fmic have it tuned professinoally. get a greddy profect-b boost controller and a decent boost gauge and your set. that's still under $3500 out the door turn key. you could have the car tuned to 12 lbs of boost and make about 220 to the wheels or so.

just something to think on.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't listen to oscarmayer... aka"old school"... he needs to get with the times and stop telling people to waste money. Building a homemade turbo kit isn't too difficult and if you do your research you should be able to get a decnt kit put together for much less than a turbo kit or swap. Since your on a budget I think this would be the best way to go. You won't be spending much money and the knowledge you will gain from building your own kit will defintely be worth it.

Here is an article that wil get you started on a homeadeturbo kit... http://d-series.org/viewtopic.php?t=2122

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
beerbongskickass said:
Don't listen to oscarmayer... aka"old school"... he needs to get with the times and stop telling people to waste money. Building a homemade turbo kit isn't too difficult and if you do your research you should be able to get a decnt kit put together for much less than a turbo kit or swap. Since your on a budget I think this would be the best way to go. You won't be spending much money and the knowledge you will gain from building your own kit will defintely be worth it.

Here is an article that wil get you started on a homeadeturbo kit... http://d-series.org/viewtopic.php?t=2122
Beer you sure don't change very long do ya guy? first words out of your mouth are "Don't listen to oscarmayer" NICE!!!

you stated your opinion and I stated mine for varous reasons. Now let the man decide for himself. no sence in trying to talk him into thinking your way is the only right one now is there?

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
STFU "old school" and go away.

Instead of calling me "beer" you can now refer to me as... the 4th grade internet warrior. :twisted:

P.S. I don't like you.

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
good beer, feeling is mutual. so if your going to continue to attakc, be advices I have no problems responding. and yes I still say you trying to convince a guy who doesn't make much expirnece to follow you junkyard roll is wrong. those are for someoen who as expirnece and has a spare car to play with, not for a guy with a daily driver. they are not as stable nor as maintance free as a bolt on kit. But you knew all that right?

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well guys, I've priced an entire B20z engine at around 600 or so, that's not including an Si or LS tranny, but I have priced those at about 400 and 300 respectively. I'm not too sure about the cost of axles and the harness or anything like that, but I dont think that it will be much more than 1500 total. I dont know about doing the CRVtec, but I'm considering it. It seems like a lot of work and quite a bit of money too. My goal right now is to just get at least the B20Z stock power in my Civic. That alone will be good enough to surprise some people for now. However, if that is going to be expensive, I can just throw the cost of the Turbo Kit out the window in comparison. Also, I've been doing some more research and I've noticed that the Edelbrock turbo kit gets more power to the wheels when set at the factory settings than the Greddy Kit, but it costs $3500 whereas the Greddy with intercooler will be about $2300 or so (I can get the Greddy kit for $1700). Which kit do you guys prefer? About the custom or "junkyard" turbo kit, I'm not too sure about it. I know that it will be cheap, but the one main thing that I'm concerned about is reliability and I dont know how reliable a pieced together turbo kit will be. The turbo kits have been test proven and that's why I lean more towards those. Still, money talks so I'm interested in seeing what you guys think.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Reliabilty depends on fuel management and tuning. None of the pre fab kits out there come with "good" fuel management. The only reason I push custom kits so much is because you can get exactly the parts you need and real fuel management for less. Pre fab kits are designed to work on everybodys car at the stock settings. I'm not saying piece together a kit right now, I am saying do some research on it and learn before you go spend money.

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
if you get the greddy kit, get the one with the intercooelr defenitally. you always want one of those. you will also want a blow off valve and boost gauge.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, the thing that I am wondering about is whether I can get the same amount or more performance from the Greddy Turbo kit as I can out of the Edelbrock kit for the same price or less. About the custom turbo, I suppose that it would be a good solution, but I've also read that you need to rebuild a turbo after about 60,000 miles or so and I'm not sure about the quality of a used one. Well, I know that you can buy a new turbo by itself and then get a manifold and some mandrill bent piping, and I even know a good and cheap intercooler to get, but I'm just not sure about which parts to put together and also I'm not sure about the power gains. Would you have any dyno chart examples or anything, perhaps some suggestions? I've read some of the projects on www.homemadeturbo.com and they look good, but there are also no prices.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My setup soon to be installed...

Free... Uberdata fuel management
$65... DSM 450cc injectors w/resistor box
$70... Turbo XS RFL bov (A cheap 1g DSM would work well also)
$70... Manifold material (A friend made it for me, but new log mani's can be had for $175)
$310... Brand new remanufactured T3 60 trim .60/.48
$200... johnnyracecar intercooler (I would proly go with a custom coach now)
$115... IC piping, couplers, clamps (I got a group buy price, so add a little more here for you)
$80... stealthmode performace SS oil lines kit w/tuner toys fitting.

That all comes to a $910 and the only things used are the bov and injectors. Having the injectors professionally cleaned would be $50. I have a friend that welds so he is going to make me a downpipe and weld everything up for me so that will be a little bit for piping. I still need a boost gauge and a few other little things, but that's pretty much a complete kit. Everything you need to chip the ECU yourself will be less than $100. Throw in a few hundred for dyno tuning and you you still haven't spent much at all for a reliable kit with good fuel management.

I always say do your research before you decide to do anything weather you do a swap, pre fab kit, or custom kit. It's always nice to have a friend with experiance to help you also. If your a do it yourself person and like working on cars this will be fun and you will learn a lot from building your own kit. If you don't have tools, a place to do the install or experianced friend to help you then all of this might be pretty hard. Even if you have to pay somebody to help you your still not spending as much as you would for all the greddy parts (roughly $2300 for a greddy turbo kit, IC kit, and bov).

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There are no prices because they are all different costs, but 90% of them were under $1000. And a rebuild is not needed at 60,000 always. Some people run there cars with stock turbos to 100k+, it just depends on how good they take care of thier car. And you asked about power. Most custom kits will outperform pre-fab kits from the get go. For example, the greddy kit comes stock at 5.5 PSI. Now say you do a custom kit with a T25 or 14B. They are set at 8 PSI. More power right away.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hmm, so the custom turbo kit makes good power and can be much cheaper too. I dont really have a friend who can weld everything for me, so I would need to pay someone. I do like the do it yourself approach as well. I guess what it comes down to now is how long will the install take, and what is the ease of the installation? I have some friends who can help me with this, but we dont have access to a shop. We have the basic tools and everything, I think that we have everything for a turbo installation, and for a motor swap all we need is to rent or buy an engine hoist. How much time are we looking at as far as a custom turbo installation? I know the pre fabs are about 8 hours or so, and the engine would take roughly a day.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The isntall would be about the same, its the gathering of the parts thats takes awhile. For some people it dosent take that long howerver. Like me, my kit will be on by the end of the month, so it will have been two months total since I started.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all your help guys, I'm still not sure as to what I'm going to do, but at least I've got more information now. Feel free to leave more posts if you have more information.

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i still say the best solution for YOU would be a the new greddy kit. I have enver used the eldebrock kits so I'm not sure how well they fair or the quality they offer.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
man this is a tough one. but honestly u should actually look at buying all the parts for the b20z motor. it may end up costing u more than expected. im selling my greddy kit with everything u need including vacum lines and a tapped oil pan. it has about 1200miles and it has a greddy fmic.pm me for pics. you cant compare the hp per $ on a b20z swap to a greddy turbo. i havent dynoed yet but im almost positive i dont have more than 200hp and im killing people left and right.on 7lbs. trust me u will luv it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts