Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I messed something up on the bottom end of my Z6, there's a random knocking and the occasional screeching noise coming from around the alt/crank pulley/#1 cyl bottom end. My crank pulley is on tight and when I took off my alt belt the noise continued so I think I might have spun a bearing.

My plan now is to put the Z6 head that's in the car on top of the original B2 engine that snapped a tbelt.

This is all being bolted to a Si tranny that was installed about 50kms before the bottom end let go.....

Since my B2 bottom end has 280,000+kms on it I want to put new bearings and rings on it. I know an older gentleman who will be doing this for me starting the end of this week.

I'll be using ACL bearings and whatever rings that he thinks are decent, a Z6 tbelt, Z6 headgasket, and then my car is already OBD1 with a P28 so management is all taken care of.

I've got a few questions though:
Headgasket - would a felpro gasket be okay? Or will it not hold up? I'm thinking of getting a full gasket set and doing everything.

Headstuds - Stock okay? Or is it really advisable that I get APRs?

Fuel - I'm thinking with the 10.1:1 compression 89 octane will be required. Yes/No?

Will a mini-me be faster than a stock Z6?
And finally, D15B2 and D15B7 bottom ends are exactly the same right?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I've been searching for the past few days and found an absolutely awesome D15B2/D16Z6 mini-me build.
Here it is:
http://www.d-series.org/forums/showthread.php?t=46820
People, give this guy some rep! He deserves all of it, the pics and info were so helpful with all the BS info I've found so far on the swap.

It answers most of my questions.
1. Yes I need to use the Z6 belt
2. I need a Y8 cam gear. Almost every single mini-me write up leaves this out, very important.

I'm going to try and get ARP headstuds. I need to remember to call the local speedshops.

Today I went and got my old D15B2 and pulled the head. Looks pretty worn out, I'm glad I'm deciding to freshen it up.

pics:

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I had a few in the first post but I was searching around and came across a thread that had the answers to most of my important questions.

I still have these ones:
Headgasket - would a felpro gasket be okay? Or is OEM the only way to go? I'm thinking of getting a full gasket set and doing everything.

Fuel - I'm thinking with the 10.1:1 compression 89 octane will be required. Yes/No?

Will a B2/Z6 mini-me be faster than a stock Z6?

·
The H Badge is it!
91 crx
5,657 Posts
felpro gasket will be fine, you can use the stock headbolts, i personally would torque them 5ft-lbs more than stock req. because they are re-used, and i would run 91 or 93 octane.

and depending on tuning, yes a mini-me will be more powerful than a d16z6. can theoretically rev higher, and has higher compression.

·
my name says Guest, but Im really a MEMBER
10,488 Posts
Yeah I had a few in the first post but I was searching around and came across a thread that had the answers to most of my important questions.

I still have these ones:
Headgasket - would a felpro gasket be okay? Or is OEM the only way to go? I'm thinking of getting a full gasket set and doing everything.

Will a B2/Z6 mini-me be faster than a stock Z6?

A gasket a gasket from my experience. I've used both autozone and OEM and they work the same. for just HG, I'd go with OEM though. fjt has a nice gasket;)

cant really say witch one is faster, but you have look at it like this. the mini-me has more compression, but a z6 has an extra.1 liters. also, what IM and header are you using. if your using a b7 or a6 as opposed to the z6 IM and TB on the z6. then theres issue with timing with a z6 head. though I think I got the timing to spec. when I did it. cant remember. but you have to hack the hell out of the dizzy housing.
also what tune are you using, tuning vtec. a stock vtec could easily be faster if your mine-me isnt setup right.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks for the replies guys. Rep given.

I guess I'll just order a complete gasket set and use the included one, and re-use my stock head bolts.
I'll be using a Z6 intake mani and an ebay header.
The car is OBD1 and it'll be run with a stock P28....so the Z6 dizzy is what I'll use. No more ghetto 1 bolt holding on the distributor like i did when it was OBD0 still. .I'm looking for a used Y8 cam gear locally but it looks like I'll have to go with an aftermarket adjustable to get the timing set perfectly set so I'll keep my eyes out for a decent 5 bolt one.

Here's a video I just took before starting to tear it apart.....sound is shitty cause it's a movie made with my digital camera but you can still hear it. Gotta turn it up a bit.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well the motor was pulled about 2-3 months ago and put into storage....water got into it.

There's some rust, the guy that's assembling the engine for me said it's too deep and a hone won't get rid of it all.

The other line is just surface scratches I think, from a screwdriver. I didn't see them in person, only after looking at the pics.

I'm not going to waste money & time getting the block bored and new pistons, so I've been shopping for a new bottom end.
So far I've come up with $200 for a complete D15B2 (from a local honda wrecker, I'm apprehensive that it might have got water into it too) or a D16A6 block with Z6 pistons and rods for $20.
I'm leaning towards the A6, the price is right and not needing to use 91 octane or buy an adjustable cam gear for that extra like 5hp, especially when the A6 bottom end is stronger.
I'm going to try and take a look at it tomorow.

·
Registered
97 EJ6 boosted D16Z6
1,079 Posts
get a D16 block... more options...

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well i went and looked at that a6 bottom end:

That's the worst cylinder. Pretty sure it's going to need an overbore so I'm looking into how much oversized pistons and rings would be, but it'll probably be more expensive than finding another bottom end.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I found another engine, picked up an D16A6 longblock for $200.
Tore it all apart, still lots of crosshatching left however it was quite dirty inside and the bearings had some wear.
So, I decided I'd go all out and get the whole thing rebuilt. Still the same older man doing the work.

A6 crank polished and cleaned up:

A6 block after I stuck it through the parts washer at work a few times, I wish I had before pics to show how dirty it was. Note the engine stamp and the crosshatching.

Box 'o pistons

-3.4 cc for 9.96:1 Compression.

Old bearings:

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My Z6 head was also stripped down and set out for cleaning and a valve job.

Ports were all beadblasted

Sure doesn't look like it used to eh?

Final assembly should be done by the end of this weekend. All new gaskets and seals of course, I picked up some nice aluminum high temp paint too. Bearings will be ACL, and rings are Hastings.
I'm also going to get a brand new Honda oil pump.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Motor was finally done yesterday. I scrambled to get it dropped in before everyone left work.

The felpro TB gasket is a joke...it's the right shape with the right cutouts, but the whole thing is like 3/4 scale...
So I made my own.

·
Registered
97 EJ6 boosted D16Z6
1,079 Posts
Looking good man, keep posting your progress!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

I'll have more pics of the finished install when I've cleaned up the engine bay a bit more.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts