Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
My civic
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok so, my buddies Integra is running like shit. He was headed to my house yesterday and about two miles from my house, he said he heard a noise (pop, bang, something) and his tach hit zero, he lost all power, and basically ended up limping it to my door. When I had him start it to pull it into the drive way, it sounded to me like it was misfiring bad. So first thing I check out, cause he just did a tune up, was his plugs and wires. As I remove his wires, they kinda just slide out with minimal effort. I look down into the tubes and 3/4 of the wires left the metal clip on the plug electrode. I was like oh shit, thats no good. Slapped a gently used set of d series wires on it, and it started up great, idled solid. So we kick it for like an hour play some GT5, and he bails. Well he made just out on to the main street, like .2 miles, and same shit happens. It will start but, ANY throttle and it falls flat on its face.

We tow it back to my place, and today I swapped out the coil and the ICM from an old d series dizzy I had in the garage, again a working part. Swap it out and the same problem, just slightly better. So I grab my fuel pressure tester, and realize I dont have a proper way to hook it up, I tried the return side under the FPR but had zero pressure register. So next I cracked the banjo on the fuel filter and primed the system, Fuel sprayed every where, so the pump is working. Ok so WTF?!? Next I pull the plug wires to make sure I had good spark. The spark was very blue and clearing a 1 inch gap with ease. So now really WTF?!?

98 Integra GS
Bone stock B18b1
Starts every time all the time just like it should.

Original coil spec
Primary 1.8ohm <to high
Secondary 16,230 ohm

Current coil spec
Primary 1.8ohm <to high
Secondary 10,620 ohm <== A little low I know.

I used the current one over the original because the original had what appears to be heat discoloration on the plastic portion of coil.

Am I missing something. Did I over look something basic? Oh ya I checked the ign timing and its spot on........

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
Any codes? Do a compression test. Check all grounds. Check the map and tps wiring and see if the tps is adjust right. All so look at the o2 wiring. Pull the fuel rail and injectors and make sure the injectors are working.

·
Registered
My civic
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Any codes? Do a compression test. Check all grounds. Check the map and tps wiring and see if the tps is adjust right. All so look at the o2 wiring.
No MIL, map and tps wires a secure, slightly dirty, no cracks. TPS, has not been adjusted since factory. Original funky screw/bolt. Oh ya 98 integra gs.

Will comp test and check o2 wires and sensor. His cam plug is leaking like a biatch tho.

Comp testing now, will report back in a few minutes.

·
Registered
My civic
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Comp test done.

#1 200
#2 195
#3 198
#4 203

However I noticed the spark plugs were VERY black and sooty. Which tells me its rich. Unsure if that because of its current inability to run, or if that the indication of the problem.

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts
swap MAP sensors with a known good or ohm out the unit on there to verify.

think of what sensors change the most when you hit the gas: TPS and MAP.

start there.

·
Registered
My civic
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
swap MAP sensors with a known good or ohm out the unit on there to verify.

think of what sensors change the most when you hit the gas: TPS and MAP.

start there.
So when I did the comp test. i noticed that #1 and #4 plug were almost loose, like felt hand tight. So I when I reinstalled the plugs I made sure they were nice and snug.

I was thrown a bone, After the comp test I restarted and got a MIL!!!!

Also after comp test, I am able to rev to 2k, and then break up.

Mil is P0108 - Map sensor/BARO circuit range to high.

Ding ding I think we found it! Will report back.

Timing belt skip a tooth?
Usually when that happens I see and effect on the ignition timing, and the marks were spot on, Plus it starts like it should, which is would not be the case I think if the belt jumped.

·
Registered
My civic
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Mil FF data

P0108
Closed Loop
Calculated Load 100%
ECT 154*
STFT -18%
LTFT -4%
MAP (inHG) 52.0
RPM 747
MPH 0
IAT 93*
TPS 9.4%

EDIT: Both O2's were lab scoped on the 21st. Primary switches between .2-.8v and secondary constant .6v

So to me this is obviously MAP. However replaced with known good. NO CHANGE! I replaced it with a D16z6 MAP, from my setup when I replaced it with an OMNI unit. 3 months ago.

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
The wire(s) at or near the map sensor plug could be broken.

·
Registered
My civic
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
The wire(s) at or near the map sensor plug could be broken.
You would happen to know off hand what wire is the reference would you?

UPDATE:

I noticed when I try and accelerate, and it begins to bog, I can hear air being forced out of the exhaust pipe JUST in front of the CAT. Matter of fact its so strong that it pushed leaves around on my drive way.
Would a melted down CAT cause this?
Mind you he JUST paid 983.17 for a new one Two days ago!

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
The sensor voltage wire is red/white for the integra.

·
Registered
My civic
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The sensor voltage wire is red/white for the integra.
Reset light, has not returned, since new part. Still same condition however.

Could a severely clogged exhaust cause this?

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
It's possible.

·
Registered
My civic
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
And the verdict is a melted CAT. Removed exhaust and it drives golden again.

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
Glad to hear you got it figured out. Post pics of the cat.

·
my name says Guest, but Im really a MEMBER
10,488 Posts
Hmmm, was it missing really bad before?

By the book something caused the cat to fail, but I've seen cat's just go bad for no reason.

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts
Hmmm, was it missing really bad before?

By the book something caused the cat to fail, but I've seen cat's just go bad for no reason.
easy, it ran on 3 cylinders when he first had the wires burn, so it dumped unburnt gas into the cat and melted it.

·
Registered
My civic
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Glad to hear you got it figured out. Post pics of the cat.
Shit. My buddy just picked it up. I will see if he can get some when he goes back to the first shop for a refund or new cat.

·
Registered
My civic
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well no melted cat pics, but the original shop replaced the cat, and refunded him $300 of the almost 1k tab for all the bullshit. Still they only should have charged him for the tune up and little diag I did. It took me two hours of time to correct, but they had it 4 days and tossed a cat on. lame.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts