Votes: 22 51.2%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the ending for my D16Y8 gets nearer and nearer every day. What I want for the current car I have right now is just a moderately quick (not fast), daily driver.

Now I've seen MANY different websites advertising B16A2's and B18B's at different prices with different mileage, what it comes with, etc. etc. But I'm still stuck between the two.

For a daily driver (not gonna go F/I or anything with either motor, strictly daily driver), would you go with a B16A2 (SI) or a B18B (LS)? I do NOT want anything more powerful over either and definitely don't wanna go back to a D-Series even though I have nothing against them. I will be mod'ing whichever engine I get with simple I/H/E, maybe clutch/flywheel, etc. Just simple bolt-ons. And then the car will definitely already have plenty of suspension mods by then.

Vote and post a reason.

·
Nor Cal D-series rider
2017 FK8 Type-R / 1993 DX hatch / 2001 LX coupe
810 Posts
If rebuilding the Y8 is 100% out of the question, I'd choose the B16A2 because of the cylinder head and transmission vs the B18B. You can ride around stock with the B16 while looking for a GSR or Type-R block to make the "poor mans R", which should satisfy your quick, N/A daily driver needs better than an LS swap + bolt ons.

You could also drive the B16 until you found & built an LS block for LS/VTEC, but if don't want to do an internal build the LS will probably be a better choice because of torque and price... But I'd still just rebuild the Y8. ;)

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I mentioned it on other forums and forgot on here, I just want to buy a complete motor/tranny/etc (everything you need to just put it in and have it run) without swapping parts. Some people have already recommended to mate a b18b tranny to the b16 for short gears that provide good torque but that's not what I'm looking for.

Just want one motor, with the tranny for that motor, etc. etc. etc.

·
Premium Member
93 cx hatch
16,376 Posts
b16 tranny is better than a b18b....
out of the 2 i would say get a b16.. youll be slow either way really... and im not trying to sound like a hater

·
yellow bar for me
viper blue 92 eg
3,572 Posts
b18b. you can upgrade the tranny and head later, or not even worry about the head and stay nonvtec like i planed to. swap to swap. you will win with the b18.

well since you dont want to upgrade, then i say go with a gsr swap. b16s are turds.
honda fucked the b-series up. if you want all the good stuff, you got to shell out the money for the type r.
honda put the best flowing head on the b16,
put the shortest ratios on the b16,
and gave the ls the shitty trans.
gsr is just kinda in between on everything.

this is just a comparison between the three. dont start throwing in type r heads and trans into the equation here.

·
Registered
69 Posts
B16 tranny With the B18b Ls/vtec combo. Very potent daily driver when done right. I have had two now. I am building my third. If the engine ever craps out in my GSR a Ls/vtec will replaced while I go turbo on the B18c1.

·
Nor Cal D-series rider
2017 FK8 Type-R / 1993 DX hatch / 2001 LX coupe
810 Posts
Than B18B it is. :TU:

Oh, and the ONLY reason you would want the LS trans on a B16 is gas mileage, it will be noticeably slower.. B16s are designed for close gear ratios to keep the RPMS high because they generate so little torque below the VTEC crossover.

But really, consider the B16 because you can find B18C1 GSR blocks for around $400. IF its "healthy," just replace all the gaskets/seals and you have an engine (with tuned ECU) that nearly equals the performance of the genuine ITR B18C5 for way less money.

:Edit: Wow I type slow, but these guys above me are on the money too! :grin:

·
sub-sponsor
93 civic
5,175 Posts
Than B18B it is. :TU:

Oh, and the ONLY reason you would want the LS trans on a B16 is gas mileage, it will be noticeably slower.. B16s are designed for close gear ratios to keep the RPMS high because they generate so little torque below the VTEC crossover.

But really, consider the B16 because you can find B18C1 GSR blocks for around $400. IF its "healthy," just replace all the gaskets/seals and you have an engine (with tuned ECU) that nearly equals the performance of the genuine ITR B18C5 for way less money.

:Edit: Wow I type slow, but these guys above me are on the money too! :grin:
^^^ this is pretty much what you would want to do

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Guys I don't think you're reading what I'm saying...

I just want a complete motor/tranny swap WITHOUT SWAPPING PARTS. That means no buying a b16 tranny and b18 motor, or b18 block and vtec head, or b16a2 and building an ls motor to swap out some day, etc. etc.

I'm just gonna be either the entire B16A2 or B18B and leave it. Then just simple bolt-ons.

But anyways, I'm leaning more towards the B16 now. Even though it lacks torque, it's definitely got the RPM's and the power over the LS. Plus, with some bolt-ons, suspension, good tires, I wanna try to run mid-high 14's.

·
sub-sponsor
93 civic
5,175 Posts
well i had a b16 itr cam'd a stock b16 runs a little faster than a sohc vtec honestly if your stuck on buying a complete swap do a b16b or a itr honestly i've paid for complete swaps before never again much cheaper to piece it together not to mention more power

·
I can't read...
10,170 Posts
Guys I don't think you're reading what I'm saying...

I just want a complete motor/tranny swap WITHOUT SWAPPING PARTS. That means no buying a b16 tranny and b18 motor, or b18 block and vtec head, or b16a2 and building an ls motor to swap out some day, etc. etc.

I'm just gonna be either the entire B16A2 or B18B and leave it. Then just simple bolt-ons.

But anyways, I'm leaning more towards the B16 now. Even though it lacks torque, it's definitely got the RPM's and the power over the LS. Plus, with some bolt-ons, suspension, good tires, I wanna try to run mid-high 14's.
You want something that's gonna be fast out of the box.
in that case...B16 FTW!

·
yellow bar for me
viper blue 92 eg
3,572 Posts
ummmm out of the box, my b18b1 would smoke a stock b16a2.... but go ahead and jump on the ricer bandwagon

·
yellow bar for me
viper blue 92 eg
3,572 Posts
check again my friend, all the ricer hatches with body kits and shit all talk shit about there b16 swaps.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.