Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2001 chevy s10
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was lookin around on the internet and i read that you could be able to take a 69mm b20 throttle body and mount it on a d16y8 intake manifold. is this true and is there a notible power gain when goin turbo. im in the middle of a vitara budget build and im lookin for any cheap power adders but i dont wanna sacrifce daily driver capabilitys... i also read that eagle rods h beam rods are the same length as stock d15z1 rods and thats the block i have. i wanna upgrade those so when i go to high boost later this year i dont have to start all over again. any help would be appreciated whatsoever

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
I don't know about Honda making s stock 69mm TB, but yes OEM B-series TBs bolt on and are a cheap and relatively easy upgrade. Don't bother unless you plan to get your car tuned. I used a B18B TB and hogged out my D16 IM to the same size (if you don't it's pretty much worthless to even put it on).

·
Registered
2001 chevy s10
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the help would you also know anything about puttin ls rods into the d15 bottom end so i can get stronger or should i just get a set of tuner toys

·
Registered
1995 Honda Civic Ex
753 Posts
dude if you're running vitaras the eagle rods are overkill. You need fjdistributors custom length i-beams. Good for 400+ hp, affordable, and they keep your compression higher than the eagle rods.

·
Registered
2001 chevy s10
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks i just looked them up... now when it says notching of the block what the hell dous that mean... you cut a little bit of the cylinder wall out? and is there a differnce in H or I beam rods

·
Registered
2001 chevy s10
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok ans another question... i have is d15z1 bottom end is that jdm? will d16 rods fit in it? the head i have is a d16y8 with a ajustable cam gear and si injectors. im gunna go get a b18 throttle body now is there any other cheap power adders to put on in conjuntion with my turbo

·
Registered
1995 Honda Civic Ex
753 Posts
d15z1 is not jdm. no your d16 rods won't fit unless you run a JDM d15b crank.. but it's just easier to use an a6/z6 block. Notching the block is just grinding a fairly small amount out of the bottom of the cylinders to give the rods clearance. Sometimes it's neccesary to notch the girdle as well to clear. H beams are generally stronger than I beams, but I beams will be the smarter choice in your build. Cheap power adders? Define cheap. A cam can be had for 250-300 bucks and will net you more power. Happy boosting, and by all means make sure you get a solid tune. Don't let a FMU cross your mind for a minute.

·
Registered
2001 chevy s10
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
under 200 dollars and do-able by myself or with minimal machine shop work. and the tune from what i understand is one of the most important parts of the build. and i see why you skimp on that your shit dont run right and well you might as well set your money on fire and piss on the ashes. thanks for all the help

1 - 8 of 8 Posts