Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know its been covered before but I have searched and can't find the info. Anybody have a write up or a link on how to use B-series rods in a D-series motor?

·
Registered
EX coupe
758 Posts
The LS rods work in a D-series i think, i am not completly sure. Bump!

·
Registered
725 Posts
I know all about the the LS rods being used. But why do people not use b16 rods , or GSR rods. Any info?

·
My sig is longer than yours
2,163 Posts
probably beacuse they wont fit the d series crank. i used ls rods in my recent build.. and i didnt have to worry about wrist pin bushings, but thats because i used 98-00 domed civic gx pistons ;)
you have to machine at least the big end, i had to do both the big and small ends, but that could be justbecause of my pistons.

enjoy http://www.knology.net/~jediklc/pistonnotes.htm

also check my rebuild thread located in my sig

·
Curious George
'99 LX Civic Sedan
3,569 Posts
probably beacuse they wont fit the d series crank. i used ls rods in my recent build.. and i didnt have to worry about wrist pin bushings, but thats because i used 98-00 domed civic gx pistons ;)
you have to machine at least the big end, i had to do both the big and small ends, but that could be justbecause of my pistons.

How is the comperssion ratio after your setup ? do you think your engine can handle 100-125 nitrous shot ?

Any dyno numbers ?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Thanks, thats what I was looking for.:TU:

·
My sig is longer than yours
2,163 Posts
How is the comperssion ratio after your setup ? do you think your engine can handle 100-125 nitrous shot ?

Any dyno numbers ?

Compresion ratio, as of now, is about 10:1 and its a bit quicker. I didnt get a chance to build my y8 head so right now my motor is my built a6 bottom end as i described with a stock a6 head. With a swap to a y8 head gasket, that goes to 11:1 or 11.5:1 with the middle layer removed. I plan to swap headgaskets soon.

As for the 100 shot, i doubt it. SOmething about not spraying more than like 50% your engines normal power. Seems to hold true from everything ive said..

No dyno numbers, though i just found out tonight theres a dyno very close thats $50 an hour. Im going to run it there and tune my timing myself as soon as i can get there on a weekday.

·
Curious George
'99 LX Civic Sedan
3,569 Posts
Compresion ratio, as of now, is about 10:1 and its a bit quicker. I didnt get a chance to build my y8 head so right now my motor is my built a6 bottom end as i described with a stock a6 head. With a swap to a y8 head gasket, that goes to 11:1 or 11.5:1 with the middle layer removed. I plan to swap headgaskets soon.

As for the 100 shot, i doubt it. SOmething about not spraying more than like 50% your engines normal power. Seems to hold true from everything ive said..

No dyno numbers, though i just found out tonight theres a dyno very close thats $50 an hour. Im going to run it there and tune my timing myself as soon as i can get there on a weekday.
You will have much higher compression with y8 (32cc) head than a6 (38cc).

Ls rods are pretty strongs, some people run them up to 240whp without troubles. But nitrous shot is little bit hard on engine. but around 60-70 shot (half power of moded y7) this setup should be really fine and funny :)

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
I would go for forged rods instead of fidling with those B-series rods...
If you don't need them, the D-series rods should do just fine...
Unless you go turbo, I don't think there's any need to replace rods...

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would go for forged rods instead of fidling with those B-series rods...
If you don't need them, the D-series rods should do just fine...
Unless you go turbo, I don't think there's any need to replace rods...
This is a low budget build. I am using DOHC ZC pistons in a D16a6 block and plan on running a small IHI turbo at 5-8psi. This should have VERY good throttle response and be quick on the street. I'm not looking for the most HP, I'm looking for something that really jumps when you hit it. I will check into the cost of milling the rods but I may just stick the ZC rods. Thanks for the link:)

·
Curious George
'99 LX Civic Sedan
3,569 Posts
I adapt Ls rods for my D because it's cheap, and I can do the machining by myself. (I'm machinist) If I had to pay for rods machining, I didn't make it. I'd go for aftermarkets ones, but a this point you should also replace to forged pistosn. Oem pistons on aftermarkets H beams, these rods seem to be little bit overkill.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would go with some aftermarket rods but you can't put stock pistons on aftermarket rods. When you add the price of aftermarket rods and pistons the whole thing gets WAY to spendy. I have a built DOHC ZC in the car right now with Wisco pistons and Eagle rods. They cost me over $800, I'm not going to spend that much for this motor.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
you can put stock pistons onaftermarket rods. your just going to need the bushings. just like you'll need with the ls rods unless you buy pdn pistons
Eagle rods go on a "floating" wrist pin. Stock Honda pistons use a "pressed on" pin. Are they the same size?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts