Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed on EK Sedan EX. Shorter shifts with stiffer feel. Didn't engage as smoothly, as in there was a "squeeze" between out of gear and in gear. Imagine pushing a ball through a tight spot. Felt sporty, like something designed for performance and not fuel economy. 5th gear was like a mile away though. For EK's I would recommend finding a stock-bend short shifter. Easy install. Came with all new urethane shifter bushings, and all of the little ring bushings, grease, etc. Installed in 45mins (including washing everything, lubing, tear-down, rebuild, etc). Weighed a lot less than stock. Eventually started having troubles with 1st and reverse...somebody told me it was the short-shifter? I'm buying another one for my EG, but I'm getting a straight one because in 2nd gear, my elbow hits the seat--I want that thing farther away. I'm getting the Edge one this time, and not the lowest model. Will post review on that in late March after install. I'm also getting an omni-power master cylinder to go with it this time and see if it helps wear and tear on my poor transmission.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
I've got a B&M shifter in my 98 civic and I LOVE it! But I have the straight one rather than the bent one...

·
Registered
873 Posts
I just ordered mine ("edge" with standard bend). & energy suspension shift bushing kit to go with it. cant wait for them to arrive. yoohoo!! :mikej:

·
Live,love,laugh,be real
07' Odyssey 07'Magnum
5,973 Posts
quote* http://www.fastlineperformance.com/shifter.htm

The problem with short shifters:

1. The aftermarket wants you to believe that the solution to the problem is shifting faster. 'Short shifters' do this by decreasing the shift throw, allowing you to feel like you are shifting faster. In reality, the transmission regulates how fast you can shift, not the shifter. Shifting too fast causes synchro wear ('crunching' between shifts), and forcing the shifter into gear (easy to do on short shifters) bends or breaks the shift forks inside the transmission.

2. 'Short shifters' are all shorter (height wise) than the stock shifter. While this may look 'cool' or give the illusion of 'performance', it is the furthest thing from the truth. The stock shifter is too far away from the steering wheel to provide proper shifting and steering techniques in the first place. So the worst thing to do is move the shifter even farther away from the steering wheel (with a shorter shifter).

3. Most all short shifters are made of aluminum. Aluminum is inexpensive and easy to manufacture, but it is soft and easily broken. There are many cases where even expensive short shifters from reputable companies shear off during shifts, in some cases causing over revving and engine damage. Check out the "big name" short shifter that sheared off at the threads below:

·
Registered
88 CRX
1,846 Posts
quote* http://www.fastlineperformance.com/shifter.htm

The problem with short shifters:

1. The aftermarket wants you to believe that the solution to the problem is shifting faster. 'Short shifters' do this by decreasing the shift throw, allowing you to feel like you are shifting faster. In reality, the transmission regulates how fast you can shift, not the shifter. Shifting too fast causes synchro wear ('crunching' between shifts), and forcing the shifter into gear (easy to do on short shifters) bends or breaks the shift forks inside the transmission.

2. 'Short shifters' are all shorter (height wise) than the stock shifter. While this may look 'cool' or give the illusion of 'performance', it is the furthest thing from the truth. The stock shifter is too far away from the steering wheel to provide proper shifting and steering techniques in the first place. So the worst thing to do is move the shifter even farther away from the steering wheel (with a shorter shifter).

3. Most all short shifters are made of aluminum. Aluminum is inexpensive and easy to manufacture, but it is soft and easily broken. There are many cases where even expensive short shifters from reputable companies shear off during shifts, in some cases causing over revving and engine damage. Check out the "big name" short shifter that sheared off at the threads below:
Where do you get a shifter like the one in your avatar?

·
Live,love,laugh,be real
07' Odyssey 07'Magnum
5,973 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
wow i have been looking for one of those shifters for a while now. i currently have a b&m and i'm totally happy with it but it only cost me 50$ so i'd be perfectly willing to get one of those road race ones. thanks for the heads up.

otherwise the b&m is a perfectly good option for a short shifter, even though all three of the above points are often true. it makes me wonder why i bought the b&m in the first place...

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
i just bought the prostreetonline shifter kit. Comes with the b&M straight ss, blox 440 gram knob, prothane bushings, and a new oem clutch pad for 120 bux. My shifter is rattling, vibrating, and i want a short shifter. I will post up pics when i get it.

·
Premium Member
2005 Legacy GT
1,754 Posts
I've got an edelbrock short shifter on mine. I love the feel of it compared to the stock "flagpole". Whether or not it actually is a performance upgrade I like the way it looks and I love the way it feels ... short shifters FTW. Of course I never get out of second gear when I'm racing, so there isn't too much that could really improve my performance shifting-wise ... lol.

·
Registered
92 civic hatch si
752 Posts
B&M double bend. Love the short shifters!! shorter the better IMO. I can see how that long one might perform better but IMO it looks a little awkward and strange. TO each his own I guess. Old skool Hurst T handles rock!

·
Registered
480 Posts
anyone have a link to pickup a shortshifter, not one from ebay?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts