Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
95 ej2
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The passenger side inner boot is just spinning on the actual axle shaft like it may be popped out from the inside (originally what I thought) and the driver side is just sitting in place nothing spinning at all. I guess ill just get a new axle for the passenger but what about the driver do I need to replace it? the axles look like its lined up all the way to the transmission but I guess it probably isnt. Any tips on getting it in all the way? Their was a little c clip that goes around the inner tip of the axle when I took it out and I made sure to put that back in. What is it for?

·
Meat Popsicle
91 CRX Si
2,939 Posts
Usually what I do is loosen the axle nut, get a steel bar that I have, and gently tap it through the hub. When there is only a thread or two visible through the hub, tighten the nut slightly to pull it back through the hub, then repeat until the axle is seated into the transmission.

Before you do this though, is there a gap between the axle seal and the transmission housing?

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts
the little c-clip is what holds it in place.

I hate those things, always cause issues.

·
Registered
EG8
1,055 Posts
The C clip locks in the the axles to the trans.

I'm not 100% sure I'm understsnding you...

Does the axle still work? Has grease leaked out yet(slung anywhere)? If not, tighten the metal clips up. All should be well if its not torn/leaking/still functioning.

Scratch that.

I thought you're talking about the boot (long day)

Get the axles support highter (make them straight.) Then hammer them in. Sometimes it feels like too much force. But its ok...

Also greasing the splines makes it easier.

·
Registered
95 ej2
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The C clip locks in the the axles to the trans.

I'm not 100% sure I'm understsnding you...

Does the axle still work? Has grease leaked out yet(slung anywhere)? If not, tighten the metal clips up. All should be well if its not torn/leaking/still functioning.

Scratch that.

I thought you're talking about the boot (long day)

Get the axles support highter (make them straight.) Then hammer them in. Sometimes it feels like too much force. But its ok...

Also greasing the splines makes it easier.
Problem wass I took off the hub and let it dangle when I was replacing the struts and I think it popped it out of place internally. Took the axle out and it seemed fine sand It popped back into place. put everything back together and it just spinned on the boot.

When i put it back in, it seemed like it clipped in, but I guess not

·
Registered
EG8
1,055 Posts
There should be no gap between the seal and the small lip on the axle. The gap from axle to trans should be just enough for a screw driver to fit.

Lol I knew that I wasn't crazy! Your post was about the boot. But the title/main concern is the trans... small win for me lol.

The inner on both sides have a 3 sided yoke. Were you able to feel it slide into the casing when you popped it in? There should be no clicking here. But when tapping it in. You need to push the axle all way in while holding the outer straight.

·
Registered
Sloppy Jalopy
1,382 Posts
When I put an axle in ,I like to find the meshing grooves then I ram it home in one nice fluid motion ,it makes me feel :bigok:

is this a car you are putting together or one that stranded itself?

·
Registered
95 ej2
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I took it apart myself with axles in great shape before lol I just replaced the struts and now the axle is popped out of the joint.

I took the axle out and popped it back in the way I was feeling was it was gonna go in there nicely I just dont understand why its still spinning internally probably just gonna buy a used axle for 35 and try it

·
Registered
95 ej2
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Usually what I do is loosen the axle nut, get a steel bar that I have, and gently tap it through the hub. When there is only a thread or two visible through the hub, tighten the nut slightly to pull it back through the hub, then repeat until the axle is seated into the transmission.

Before you do this though, is there a gap between the axle seal and the transmission housing?
Any more info on how to do this I cant exactly picture this?

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Only time I ever had this issue was when I broke the axle on a launch. Either shattered the tripod or sheared the splines off the shaft.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts