Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys...you may remember me posting on here before about replacing my clutch. Well I'm back. It turns out that the horrible grinding sound wasn't my throw out bearing it was actually something within my transmission (2nd gear syncro I think). Well here I am again and I'm almost done with swapping in my new SI transmission. As I'm sure you can tell from the title of this thread, I'm having a problem with my axles. more specificially, I'm having trouble getting them to fully click into place. anyone have any ideas. I get get them to seat in but they wont fully click into place. I've tried just pushing them in as hard as I can, I've turned the gears inside and tried again. As of right now the next step is attempting to just *BASH* it in with a hammer, but I know that you can't just pull them out or you could break something. I'm not too sure on if that applies to putting them back in as well. If anyone has any input or has had this same problem I would greatly appreciate any and every bit of help. THANKS!!

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
BFH(BigFuckingHammer) and put a pice of wood over the area where you will strike.

itll pop in I promise :) lol.

·
Registered
983 Posts
sometimes installing the axles with the clip opening towards the top helps let gravity do the work for you!

Are you sure it's a si trans??? I've had a zc tranny before axles slide in just dont spline up... needless to say i was pissed

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
a big hammer with wood, or use a mallet.

(no garage should be without a mallet!)

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
noo the force wont transfer. I do it like right on it.

carefull tho dont rip anything!

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so just basically do what I did before only harder. I put a 2x4 up against the big part of the axle that butts up against the transmission when it's all the way in. then I just hit the other end of the 2x4. Just whack the hell out of it?

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
well I wouldnt go too crazy a good solid smack wil pop it in for sure.

another option is momentum, line the axle up and just thrust it in(lol)

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
i've hit the other end of the axle before. Worked for me.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
WOW this sucks! well I tried to get those axles in and it's definaitly not happenning. They slide in but they wont click into place. they feel like they're in as far as they can go but they still wobble and it feels like they're grinding against something when they turn. Needless to say somethings wrong. I'm not too sure what the problem is. I'm leaning towards what SLO SOHC said about getting a ZC instead of an SI:bull: . the VIN off the new one is L3-1570551 If anyone can help me out and help me identify if that's the problem I would greatly appreciate any and all help. The old transmission I had's VIN was l3-2181526 if that helps at all. If that tranny is a ZC what's the cheapest way of making this work? I'm 100% broke as hell so whatever I can do to make my car driveable is what I need to do. THANKS for the help guys.

·
Registered
1995 Civic EX Coupe
579 Posts
is the axle bolted up on the hub side with the 32mm? Is the balljoint still disconnected? If so, what i always do is pick up on the whole rotor and slam it in that way. Always works for me. Best of luck

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I tried getting them in as best I could...I'm definaitly thinking they don't match the transmission. I just need to varify if that's the right transmission or if it's the ZC for sure

·
Registered
1995 Civic EX Coupe
579 Posts
Yea if they dont match it has to be a ZC because all the others are the same. What do the numbers say on it? PL3/????

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
not an ex/si...

Thats a cable tranny.

EDIT: nevermind, you have a crx. You'll need someone who knows cable trannies to tell you what tranny that is.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I just bought a SL3 tranny for my civic.. It is a usdm Si. maybe spray some lube on the inbroad joint. if it is a ZC. the axel will go all the way in without an ounce of effort. Make sure the splines are lined up before you put it in.. Test fit take the snap ring off the end and then try and put it in.. it that works than you know that it is right.. There could be rust on the inner joint making it hard to put in. but the axel will go in a little bit then you should have to rotate it to get the splines to line up and then send it home.. I have never had to use a hammer to do this usually just the play back and forth in the inbroad joint is enough to whack it in!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts