Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
ej8
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to show you the tool that is very easy to make, if you have welder, if you don't - it's not gonna cost you a lot of money to weld it in some different place.

When I tried to remove my axle nut, my car was on the ground with parking brake full up, and on the first gear. I inserted 1/2 12 inch extension with 32mm socket and supported it with jack stand. Than I start using 1/2 breaker bar with 60 inches pipe. I pressed firmly, Breaker bar start bend and stay bended after. Than I took different bar 1/2 and my extension just snap. The tools was not china it was USA made.

After i decided to make my tool for axle nut - on off

This is my first post, and I don't know if picture of the tool is gonna work)

My socket had to diameters. Breaker bar side was smaller. I found the steel pipe that fit my socket inside, than I welded it to the socket. On the other side of the pipe I drilled the hole through the whole pipe, maybe 2 inches from the end. Enlarged the hole up to 7/8. Also used die grinder for enlarging in the end, because big drill bits is the pain. I used the long enough pipe because it have to be supported by jack stand or something. Than I inserted 7/8 hardened bar (don't have to be long) and put long pipe over bar. It was very easy to remove the nut, and no more broken tools - most important).

Attachments

·
Meat Popsicle
91 CRX Si
2,936 Posts
20 Pc 3/4 in. Drive Metric Jumbo Heavy Duty Socket Set

$57.99 less the 20% coupon that's available year round, you're looking at about $50 with tax, depending on what your local sales tax rate is.

Don't get me wrong, I like the ingenuity...just saying that for $50 you can buy hand tools that make the job possible for pretty much any import vehicle

An impact wrench makes quick work of it as well, especially if you have a decent gun and a heavy duty compressor...don't even have to bend the tab on the nut out.

·
Registered
Integra
390 Posts
Old 6 ft iron pipe does it for me

·
Registered
ej8
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For most cases with small honda civic - 1/2 tools is overkill, except axle nut and maybe crank pulley. Buy 3/4 set require extra storage,organization and funds. I like to use my tool. Same socket factory fabrication I used with my grandfather to bolt up or take of tractor wheels, there was like 15 nuts around) maybe more. And we used solid 1'' bar and 6 feet long bar for that. The size of nut was maybe 46mm I guess. Air gun is useless in this case to brake it lose. Or you will use some monster air gun )))
Thats why I made similar setup and its work great for me.

·
Registered
EG8
1,055 Posts
Not sure what you mean by useless? Like stated above, don't even have to unstake it.

The air gun has high pressure at short intervals. Similar to how ABS works in that sense. (Reason why it doesnt even matter if brakes are on or not).

Hardest part with your method is not having the wheels locked very well. (If the car is completely in the air)

Also my Craftsmsn 1/2 can handle a beating. I bought a 3' "cheater pipe" and have used it on anything thus far...

Not trying to bash you or anything, just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
ej8
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sure that air gun is very useful, I mean in case with 46mm nut from my tractorn. Because it's like you want to try remove lug nuts on civic with Makita cordless 18 volt impact )))

·
Tape-R taper/driver
EC3, ED8, ED9, EE5
574 Posts
Leverage is your friend. Work smarter, not harder. If you are trying to work on any car with just a 1/4" and 3/8" ratchet/socket set, I'm sorry.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,099 Posts
I actually would rather use 1/2 inch over 3/8 but that's me. and I have sheared a half inch breaker bar with no cheater pipe by hand on an axle nut. sure, air tools are awesome, but Im too lazy to drag out 50' of hose, turn the pump on, wait for it to fill, and brap brap brap for 30 seconds until its time to fill the tank.

·
Tape-R taper/driver
EC3, ED8, ED9, EE5
574 Posts
I actually would rather use 1/2 inch over 3/8 but that's me. and I have sheared a half inch breaker bar with no cheater pipe by hand on an axle nut. sure, air tools are awesome, but Im too lazy to drag out 50' of hose, turn the pump on, wait for it to fill, and brap brap brap for 30 seconds until its time to fill the tank.
That's why you keep the tank full.

...and don't you go lecturing me on the don'ts!

IT"S MY BODY DAMMIT

·
Registered
EG8
1,055 Posts
And that's why Nelson sheared a bolt head when tightening the door hinges. 1/2 breaker bar on a 10mm?

"That's unnecessary" -Gambino (chorus starts at 0:57 seconds: http://www.youtube.com/ttubsUWgZg4)

·
Registered
1993 Civic EX Coupe
72 Posts
Cheater pipe doesnt always win. Usually its some combination of Air, cheater piper and heat that gets things loose, I had a 3/4 breaker bar and a 30 mm axle nut socket trying to remove an axle nut on a Grand Caravan that was nearly permanently frozen. I added 5' of black pipe to the mix and even standing and bouncing on it I couldnt get it to get free. I finally resorted to get a second impact gun (More power arrr arrr arrgh!) and got the sob free.

·
Registered
Sloppy Jalopy
1,026 Posts
I find that a jerking motion helps instead of steady pressure when I do axle nuts with a breaker bar.

I changed the axles On my old winter eg ,I had a bitch of a time ,,10ft long cheater bar my Bro pushing on the brakes and I'm standing on the bar ,one finally came loose after some jumping the other had to be cut off.

did I mention it was up hill both way's, -40 ,in french ,and it was night time.

·
Asshole
4,112 Posts
If you can't get the axle nut off with some penetrating oil and a 24" breaker bar your doing it wrong. As in you didn't undo the axle nut stake right which is why it won't turn.

·
Registered
Sloppy Jalopy
1,026 Posts
If you can't get the axle nut off with some penetrating oil and a 24" breaker bar your doing it wrong. As in you didn't undo the axle nut stake right which is why it won't turn.
If your talking to me , I take it you have never worked on a 23 year old car that has seen 23 quebec winters ...

I know how to remove axles...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts