Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
My sig is longer than yours
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, yes, i actually plan on doing this, so lets not even start that crap :p

I want to use the wagon rear end, gear ratio: 2.529 with the crv trans which has a ratio of 2.533 for the front.. I've thought and thought but i just cant figure out the math on what tire sizes would be needed to compensate for the 0.004 difference in ratios...

if someone could help it would be much appreciated :TU:

·
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No that is how it is with the CRV rear differential. The wagon rear end is like a normal rear end in just about any other vehicle. Thats part of the reason i want to go with the wagon rear end, i dont have to bother mucking with the real time setup with the crv end.

I was asking here not because this is d-sereis realted (other than the rear end) but because I know that the only people that frequen this forum are knowledgable people like yourself. I figured you or bense or someone could help me out calculating the ratios and eventually work down to the differnt tire sizes needed to compensate.. Im sure this thread, posted on honda tech or elsewhere, would just get bashed, beaten, and lost in the archives..

·
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
after playing with tire size calculators online for a bit, i think im going to run the wagon rear end.. Granted my math is scewed i suppose, i used the fatboy raceworks calculator, set the final drives to the crvand wagon, and set first gear to 0.2:1 (to get better accuracy, adjust it and you'll see) and then i adjusted the tire diameters until the speed in first gear was close. here are the results:

with a 215/50 r 15 tire, the radius is 23.46 inches. to get a close speed match with the wagon rear end gearing, i had to set tire size to 23.42, which got me within 0.08 mph... Less than 1/10 of an inch.. I think this is reasonable..

but please, as always, correct me if im wrong here..

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,630 Posts
goto the link......never know who is on the board.......

the two people in my sig quotes are :)

·
Formally known as SPONSOREDCRX
3,566 Posts
free bump cause i would like to know also. i was thinking about making an awd crx too.

·
FAMILY MEMBER #316
2,955 Posts
i think tire size will be the least of your concerns

·
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well, like i said. with 215/50r15 meats, the tread differnece for the front vs. rear tires is less than 1/10 of an inch... 0.04 inches to be exact.. Yea, its not perfect.. but im not goin to pay 2-3 grand for a custom gearset for the wagon rear end. a quick burnout would be enough to get the rear tread down small enough to compensate :)

edit: and thanks for the link mista bone! gonna go check it out for sure now =]

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,630 Posts
you do understand tire diameter changes with load and wear?????

1/2" OD change from treadwear alone.

Also, your math means 2.529 * 2.533 = WTF!!!!

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
i don't really know anything about this kind of set-up, but i've seen ppl do AWD EF's (on H-T) so i'd check out other ppl's set-up's... good luck man, can't wait to see it :TU:

·
Registered
901 Posts
chris, you are a crazy ass mofo! i hope this shit works out for you, because i wanna see that shit when you come back to cali!

·
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Also, your math means 2.529 * 2.533 = WTF!!!!
how so?

the front final drive affects both the front wheels and the rear, while the rear ratio is affected by the gearing in the transfercase as well as the rear end gear.. changing the final drive is possible as it affects both sets of wheels. hard to explain, but im confident in my math :)

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,630 Posts
what is the drive ratio of the transfer case....which is just another ring gear bolted on with the normal FD ring gear....... (2.533)

what is the rear drive ratio???? (2.529)

multiply those for your answer :)

·
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
well, i'll dig through the crv service manual, but im pretty sure the front has a 2.533 final drive, and i KNOW the rear differential is listed as 2.533 for the crv rear end.. Im pretty sure they combined rear differntial + transfercase geraing for the rear end.. but i will check to verify just for kicks

edit: yea way wrong. 2.533 final? w..t...F was i thinking?

crv specs:
final drive: 4.562
transfer: 0.434
rear diff: 2.533

bones ya gotta stop posting when im tired, because i will reply right away without much thought :p

if anyone has the wagon tranny/tcase specs, please post them, as i dont offically have ANY of those ratios, i was just going with teh 2.529 i was told.. I woul dlove a wagon service manual link, btw ;)

·
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i thought the wagon rear end was independent as well..? and yea i could modify it for full time 4wd but then im left with making custom axels.. Yea, i'll have to lengthen/shorten civic axels, but no big. I would have to splice wagon/crv axels, as i plan on using the wagonrear hub assemblies..

Theres a lot of thought and back history as to my current choosing to go with a wagon rear end.. If you're really interested check the last 2-3 pages of the awd crx del sol thread on ht

1 - 20 of 41 Posts