Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 95 LX has the factory stereo with CD and cassette player. My iPod worked fine through the use of a cassette adapter, but my adapter doesn't work well with my iPhone. My iphone causes that annoying interference sound to play through the stereo, my local Apple store told me that I should upgrade my radio? An other alternative is shielding the radio and speakers and using Monsters new (shielded) cassette adapter.

Has anyone ever modded in an AUX input into their factory stereo? Crutchfield has an ipod adapter that plugs into the stereo where the CD player goes, anyone ever used one of these?

I'm thinking that it might be easier to shield the speakers and buy a new head unit with RCA or AUX input capabilities.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I'd go with a new HU. If you don't listen to CD's, the Alpine iDA-X001's a good unit (I've got one). New models out, though: iDA-X100, -X200, and -X300.

I try to never use cassette adapters - get rid of the factory HU ASAP! :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had the exact same problem with my cars stereo aswell. I found that there seems to be an ok, better and a best scenario. (keep in mind I had an upgraded HU with an aux input i was just lazy at the time to plug it in)

ok- Fm transmitter- works if you stay away from other fm transmitters and radio stations

better- cassette plug in/plug in for stock HU- works alright not the best of quallity

best- new HU, really to sum this up it gives you a direct built in link to supply music from an external source, and being a new unit will give some more "tuning" capability to speakers old and new past the abilities of the stock unit (as the stock unit it was built to handle oem sources and in its own perameters, a new HU will amplify the perameters giving best quallity sound the speakers can handle rather then the HU)

·
Registered
402 Posts
I picked up an AUX adapter & RCA - minijack setup for my wife's '98 to use her MP3 player on, works great, cost about $50. I'm not sure what kind of adapter you need for an Ipod though, hers works off the headphone jack.

·
Worst Mechanic Ever!
EG
2,915 Posts
Get a new head unit. You will have better sounds overall and you can either get one with RCA inputs or iPod integration.

I have a Pioneer head unit and I had to buy a little adaptor that plugs into the cd-changer hookup and gives me RCA input. Works great for my iPod, don't know about iPhones though. :D good luck!

·
"Wild Bush Appeared!"
???
1,898 Posts
Get a head unit with an auxillary input and use it that way. You will need to by a short cable for about $2 that has 2 male connections on each end also. Sound quality is Mp3 and about 100% better than CDs.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Get a new head unit. You will have better sounds overall and you can either get one with RCA inputs or iPod integration.

I have a Pioneer head unit and I had to buy a little adaptor that plugs into the cd-changer hookup and gives me RCA input. Works great for my iPod, don't know about iPhones though. :D good luck!
I give a :TU: to the RB-10 as well... I run my old palm pilot through it. Works with anything that you can adapt RCA cables to (like a headphone jack).

Unfortunately 128 mb only holds so much music!

It would be more convenient for a cheap HU with the aux input on the face tho.

If you have a high-end new pioneer radio, there's a box from Pioneer that goes between the IP-BUS on the back (changer control) and the iPod. It lets you put the iPod in the glove box. The iPod turns on and off with the radio, charges the iPod as you play it, and lets you change tracks from the radio. Only works with the iPod tho since it's through the digital connection on the bottom of the unit.

A powered FM modulator (wired-in) doesn't sound bad on a factory stereo, if you can find one. They're rare.

·
Registered
234 Posts
the new sony 420IP has a built in ipod cable that charges the ipod and controls through the head unit... and a 2 year warrenty.

·
Registered
1990 Si Hatch
518 Posts
the new sony 420IP has a built in ipod cable that charges the ipod and controls through the head unit... and a 2 year warrenty.
There are many HU's like this one. They let you put your Ipod in your glovebox, for security, and control everything through the radio. I own the Alpine CDA 9885 and bought the 9883 for my wife. These radios are very good. It's awesome not having to touch my Ipod but still access my music.

·
Registered
ALL 88-91 CIVIC/CRX
103 Posts
This is awesome.. I plan to put in a stock tape player in my EF hatch but wondered about there being an auxilary connection that could be modded in for an mp3. This should work really well.. I hope I can find one for an EF tape player :)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Check the wiring diagrams. When stock HU have a plug on the back for the factory cd player you can sometimes wire in a aux port into that plug

·
endo_bobo
1998 Civic Sedan
879 Posts
Don't buy into their Monstar super duper shielded extra Teflon coated cables. Wire is wire. If you get one get one with a USB port and that will let you use your mp3 device while charging it which is really handy.

·
Registered
CRX ECODiesel Ram
1,036 Posts
for less than $100 you can have a head unit that will control the ipod/iphone, or in some cases even do it through bluetooth. for more hassle and near the same amount of money you can integrate it all in to the pile of crap head unit you got that is 16 years old.

·
Registered
Wagovan
773 Posts
Keeping stock and paying 70 plus for any "adapter"? Fuck that. Why? I mean really? JVC has been stepping up their game in the head unit world. Check

The backlights for screen and left side can be set to just about any shade of any color as well. Id rather color coordinate my interior than have a stock radio and a sweet adapter.

Only paid $150 dollops for this unit as well.

·
Registered
ALL 88-91 CIVIC/CRX
103 Posts
I would just like to have the original radio because having an all original interior is what im wanting so having a fancy stereo stands out.. But dont get me wrong that music is a huge part of an everyday drive not that engine sounds are enough.. But if I can integrate an OEM radio with aux input and some upgraded speakers so I can be in stealth mode.. But if I cant definently will go with an aftermarket hu with integrated aux and usb. Might just paint the hu black :punk:

·
Registered
Wagovan
773 Posts
So what kind of aftermarket speakers you going to be pairing with all that oem stereo power?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts