Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rookie question, but is downshifting an auto civic bad for the transmission? it helps my braking and the engine "feels" more responsive if i downshift and hit it instead of just putting my foot half way down to get it to downshift.

·
Registered
879 Posts
hondaspeedquest said:
Rookie question, but is downshifting an auto civic bad for the transmission? it helps my braking and the engine "feels" more responsive if i downshift and hit it instead of just putting my foot half way down to get it to downshift.
what are you downshifting out of? and to what gear? i would say let the tranny do the shifting, except for when you shift into overdrive, of course. i haven't heard much about manually shifting through your auto tranny's gears, but i would guess that its not the best thing to be doing.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i don't have a first gear, only 2, D3, and D4. 99 civic ex. i sometimes downshift to slow down (engine braking) when getting to a red light and i never downshift to far (the rpms never shoot above 3900)

·
Registered
879 Posts
the only downshifting i would ever do in the auto is from D4 (overdrive) to D3 (regular drive). 2 is a gear for going up hills, etc. i wouldn't do any downshifting into 2 if i were you, because its probably going to tear up your tranny over time. just use your brakes to slow down. engine braking and downshifting is for manual trannies.

·
Want access???
98 Hx Coupe
12,304 Posts
hondaspeedquest said:

if you want to downshift ...go manwell

·
Registered
402 Posts
my friend used to do that all the time his tranny nuked in like 2 weeks it basicly locked up the torque converter and broke a whole bunch of crap inside

·
Registered
344 Posts
yeah, i wouldn't reccomend downshifting manually with an auto trans... let the trans take care of it.

C

·
0 Posts
if you want to downshift ...go manwell<---------modshyxcivi

Who the hell manwell??????? jk

I have talked to alot of the honda techs at my work and they all say that an auto tranny is built for downshifting but no one does it, it does the same thing when the tranny automaticly does it for you, just try to limit doing it when you are not on the gas (engine breaking). honda has someting in their trannies called grade logic control that does the downshifting for you when its needed for hill climing and going down a hill, try it next time that you have the cruise on and going down a steep downhill grade. The tranny will actually downshift for you to keep you at the same speed appx

·
the MAD scientist
2,574 Posts
I never downshift to 2nd, but go from 4th-3rd.

If the can is already in second, I'll lock it in with the shifter until I'm around the corner or whatever.

·
the MAD scientist
2,574 Posts
I never downshift to 2nd, but go from 4th-3rd.

If the cars already in second, I'll lock it in with the shifter until I'm around the corner or whatever.

S

·
0 Posts
i wouldn't downshift the auto, it'll tear it up.
upshifting from a dead start is fine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts