Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, Im saving up for a mini me then after the winner I plan to do it. My question is, should i switch to manual when i do the swap? I plan to boost my car as well at some point. Does manual handle boost better? Ive read that automatics stay spooled, so should I keep it automatic? I prefer to keep it auto - "if its not broke, dont fix it." any advice?

·
the MAD scientist
2,574 Posts
Yep and yep, automatics dont handle boost for very long. You may as well do the tranny swap while you already have the motor out.

I've been boosted on my automatic for a while now. It seems to be holding up for me, but I'm prepared to do the swap when it lets go. The auto is fun for boost, and yes the turbo stays spooled after changing gears.

It's up to you man.

·
Neighborhood Asshole is Back!
1,892 Posts
mikeD16Z6 said:
Yep and yep, automatics dont handle boost for very long. You may as well do the tranny swap while you already have the motor out.

I've been boosted on my automatic for a while now. It seems to be holding up for me, but I'm prepared to do the swap when it lets go. The auto is fun for boost, and yes the turbo stays spooled after changing gears.
ditto

except i blew my auto and started doing the swap already

·
Registered
956 Posts
I did it on mine. I'll have to say, If you're cheap like me, go to the junkyard. your junkyard is your best friend. If you're planning on keeping the motor then just find yourself a manual tranny with everything (flywheel, clutch, preesure plate, shift linkage, etc). it all depends. the whole swap cost me roughly $300-400 and thats with a whole Z6 motor too cause I had the B7. well, if you need anymore help, just let me know. I'll be gladly to help you out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts