Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 91 CRX DX and need a new automatic tranny for it. I know you all think I should change to a manual but I live in a massively hilly city with lots of traffic and it's my daily driver so I don't really want to. So can I use any D Series auto tranny in my CRX? What if it is a hydraulic, is that hard to make work? Any of the auto Transmissions particularily good? Thanks fellas.

·
Registered
284 Posts
auto

any '90-'91 auto trans will work, but i'd look for one out of an ex, unsure if it would have any diff gearing. i put a jdm D15B auto in my '91 4dr, if you go that route you have to use the supplied torque converter as its slightly diff.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
any '90-'91 auto trans will work, but i'd look for one out of an ex, unsure if it would have any diff gearing. i put a jdm D15B auto in my '91 4dr, if you go that route you have to use the supplied torque converter as its slightly diff.
Thanks bro, I'll look into that.

·
FAMILY MEMBER #316
3,646 Posts
finding an automatic tranny out of a crx is pretty hard to do...they were mostly stick and back then an automatic tranny was real expensive

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought that pretty much any D series auto tranny would work, like out of a 88-91 civic or even the 92-95 civics?

·
Registered
284 Posts
the '92-'95 should bolt up, but not sure if wiring is the same or if it will work with your ecu. any '88-'91 auto will bolt right up except for possibly the wagon, which was all-wheel drive and had a drive shaft to the rear transfer case.
the reason i used the D15b was that the d15b is rated at 130hp where as the D16A6(si/ex) is rated at 108hp so it might be slightly stronger.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the '92-'95 should bolt up, but not sure if wiring is the same or if it will work with your ecu. any '88-'91 auto will bolt right up except for possibly the wagon, which was all-wheel drive and had a drive shaft to the rear transfer case.
the reason i used the D15b was that the d15b is rated at 130hp where as the D16A6(si/ex) is rated at 108hp so it might be slightly stronger.

Very helpful thanks. I do actually know that if you use a 92-95 you need the 92-95 torque converter as well because the are a bit different but it all does bolt right in.

·
Registered
1991 crx dx
243 Posts
the 88-91 will in fact bolt up but if you get a 88-89 you will need new axles. the spline count is different

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay I got my car back from Moss Alley today and she is running great, total cost $800.

I picked up an L4 automatic tranny with 114K miles on it for $100.

Moss Alley replaced the old one with the tranny I bought, replaced my front motor mount, ATF fluid, all the seals etc, and readjusted my throttle cable total $700.

All in all I think it went as well as it could.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.