Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone familiar with Automatics? To make a long story short, I make a kit to stuff D-series in the Classic Mini. I just started developing a Automatic trans kit. What I want to know is...

1. What is best automatic to start with, it seemed to me ideally OBD1 that did not have the sensor on the front and back just due to clearance. Did the earlier one use a PCU?
2. Is there a way to run Hondata for light engine mods (be able to plug in and diagnose) and keep the external PCU?
3. Basically I am looking for the most straight forward way to run a Automatic D Series in a Classic Mini. Currently thought process was to use complete stock wiring with stock ECU/PCU and sensors. But I would like to ideally run a stand alone setup, and have some diagnoses/tuning probability.

Thoughts, below is kit made up so far.

Below is some manual kits I put together....

·
Registered
97 Del Sol
85 Posts
AS far as I know there is no way to tune the transmission controller, so if you make any extra power the slushbox doesn't know how to handle it. Also as far as I understand, Honda's autos are rather fragile compared to the manuals.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you get anywhere with this?
Yea we ended up making a prototype frame for a guy in Pittsburgh. Woody also got a automatic conversion. Ironically enough it has a chipped p28, engine side was modified and trans parameters left alone. Worked out pretty well, just a alot of crap to stuff in a Mini.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm also trying to do a similar build, I have a d15b with a CVT box and wanted to know if I was able to run a p28 hondata ECU along side keeping the eco/drive and sport button which controls the gearbox ECU. Final plan was to boost the engine with the CVT box but unsure if it will work or not.

·
Registered
89 EF 4wd sedan
968 Posts
I'm also trying to do a similar build, I have a d15b with a CVT box and wanted to know if I was able to run a p28 hondata ECU along side keeping the eco/drive and sport button which controls the gearbox ECU. Final plan was to boost the engine with the CVT box but unsure if it will work or not.
I can't imagine that CVT would hold much power. They were notorious for going bad at around 160,000kms here (100,000miles). Rarely see them on the road now, which is a shame because a turbo CVT in an EF-EG-EK would be neat.

·
Registered
2 Posts
That's what I was aiming to do in my ek ferio. IV just hit 170km 🤣 so it's holding okay so I will probably leave it then. Maybe one day I can rebuild and make it stronger somehow

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Run a small but efficient cooler on it. You have the option to get AN6 adapters for the metric conenctions on the casing to keep things short in length.

The 92-95 civic auto's are notorious for asnapping cv axles, likely they have much higher line pressure and clamping force over the softer-appearing 96-00 civic auto's.

You might be able to rig up the trans controller from an old accord, as it was seperate from the ecu, but you would have to find a way to make it understand the shaft speed differences.

My 93 d15b7 del slow ate 5-6 remanned axles in a year. The auto 97 d16y7 civic never once ate a single axle with me driving like a terd.

So things are worth looking itno. If you can find out how hodna softened up the 96-00 trans, you might be able to reverse engineer it and make the 92-95 trans firmer shifting once you get some beefier axles.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts