Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
honda civic
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok so I have a 1994 honda civic dx with a swapped b16 sir 2 in it and I am looking at getting tires for my setup. My setup includes--Tokico blue shocks, h and r sport springs, poly bushings all the way around and some all season goodyear eagle gt-hr's on gsr fat five rims. Also pretty soon I will have 24mm sway in the front and 22mm in the rear.

I have been looking at buying tires for autocross. This is my dedicated track car but I don't have a trailer to haul it so I drive an hour and a half and back for autocrossing about 7 times a year and the rest of the races are here in my town. I have been looking at getting an extra set of rims and some falken azenis rt-615's. I haven't had any luck with getting any rims so I was wondering how fast the falken azenis would wear out if I kept them on permanately ?

My car sees twice the action than a normal car cuz my brother X's up with me on my car. I was talking to a person who autocrosses his mustang and also works at a tire-shop and I told him that I wanted to slap on some azenis's on my setup and he said that i really didn't need them because I don't have enough horsepower to fully use this kind of tire and that he recommended me to get the 280 treadwear rated cooper zeon's. He said that the azenis tires wouldn't really help me and it wouldn't really be worth it and I would actually see better times with the cooper zeons and that he knows this through experience. I am racing in the SM class so the competition is tough. Any comments and suggestions welcome.

·
Registered
544 Posts
no hes wrong, you have more grip with the RT-615's and you will be able to hold more speed through the corners, but they will wear fast if its your DD and depending on how many runs you get every day of Auto-X they will wear VERY fast

·
www.rifftrax.com
1996 Civic Ex Sedan
1,517 Posts
my azenis have held up for almost a year (a little over 9 months so far) and i beat on them daily on the streets. they haven't seen the 1/4 mile or autox tracks yet though and they probably have another month left in them on the street.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Going off what I've read and read and read even on this board.. Bridgestone's Potenza re01r's are the faster street tires to have annnnnnd last much longer than azenis. So forget the azenis..
By the way anyone who says you don't have enough horsepower to fully get the use outta the azenis for autox isn't someone I'd take advice from
My opinion is get some shitty tires and learn how to drive them at their limits, it will better your driving and then step up to a stickier tire.

·
Registered
honda civic
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I have been using my goodyear eagle gt-hr's for the past 4 events and I think I have been taking them to the limit and have learned how to keep them under control without going beyond there cornering limit!
So would those bridgestone potenzas be good for an hour an a half drive and autocross abuse and still last a decent amount of time. I mean I know that were dealing with a less than 200 treadware rating so I guess will they last very long being that they are a 200 treadware tire? I don't really know the specs on them?

·
Registered
CRX, Wrangler
397 Posts
Bridgestone's Potenza re01r's
These are a good tire, but they don't offer them in 14's. That, and they're $50 more per tire than the Azenis.

I know racing isn't cheap - but for the extra 90% cost increase, I doubt anyone will notice the difference.

I'm running the Azenis on my street / Solo2 driven CRX and I love them. The tires are better than I am, that's for sure.

-Des!

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
I was talking to a person who autocrosses his mustang ... didn't need them because I don't have enough horsepower to fully use this kind of tire
He must auto-x at a drag strip. Tires are like horsepower for turns.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Go with the Azenis, I've got them on for daily driving/highway driving and AutoX once in a while, I expect to get 2 seasons out of them (we have winter here, lol). I recommend the 205/50/15 size for a factory 15" rim.

·
CR-Vtakin
your mom
11,459 Posts
tell him that he is wrong. azenis are great tires. i use them for daily driving, auto x and occasional track day events. i even have them on my daily driver automatic integra sedan if that tells you anything.

·
Registered
honda civic
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for all the replies so we are like half way through the season and my car sees twice the action cuz my lil bro X's up with me. and I found a way to bypass using the azenis for any highway driving and still use them for autocrossing an hour and a half a way and I also don't need to buy an extra set of rims! so you these tires will last me the rest of this season and half of the next? theres about 7 autocrosses left this season that average about a minute fifteen seconds in length.

·
Registered
137 Posts
These are a good tire, but they don't offer them in 14's. That, and they're $50 more per tire than the Azenis.

I know racing isn't cheap - but for the extra 90% cost increase, I doubt anyone will notice the difference.

I'm running the Azenis on my street / Solo2 driven CRX and I love them. The tires are better than I am, that's for sure.

-Des!
I think the guy has 15's though not 14's
I used to daily drive on azenis and autox them quite often for a few years and can tell you they do not last very long when doing so both old 215's and the latest 615's. And I didn't have a co-driver when I autox'd them
So if the bridgestones last longer and from what I've heard they last quite a bit longer than azenis then you are making up for the price increase in that alone (well maybe, maybe not), but also consider how much it is to mount and balance new tires how much is it to throw away old tires..
All in all personally I'd go with the slightly more expensive longer lasting faster tire myself when in the end the price isn't gonna be that much more and I wanna go that much faster

·
Registered
honda del sol
557 Posts
well, the guy was wrong but there is a concept to keep in mind. are you skillfull enough to utilize the tires to hold you to the course or are you relying on your suspension to do the work?

the azenis are from what i hear a good cheap tire, and i would probally not use them for both myself. but for both you may want to look into the dunlop direzza tires. they're inexpensive and perform very well! theres also some good chioces from toyo.

·
Registered
999 Posts
for anyone still recommending azenis.,... you guys are obviously the slow bunch in your region...

the bridgestones are the tires to have right now... as they have better grip and last what seems like forever....
then there are 2 others that are competing for top ST class tire... that would be the new TOYO r1r , dunlop direzza z1, and soon to come out KUMHO XS

but it seems your car is in SM so street tires will get you no where near competing... but since your still new stick to street tires... otherwise kumho v710s, hoosier a6s (275 tire)

and to mixelpix mr solo2 crx i think its funny when people use stuff like that to describe their cars haha, anyways the 90% increase is well worth it... bridgestones last much longer... the top STS runner in my region (SF) (who by the way can hang with KEVIN MCCORMICK previous national champ several years)... have about 190 runs on his set of bridgestones.... and he stilll won the tirerack CA divisional series...

at about 100+ runs azenis get to the wear bars... and ultimately useless

golferman, I would talk to the guys in your region... the problem is people on forums liek this... for all you know they only autox for fun or occasionally. And they all have opinions on whats best and what they used that makes them think they are fast... and advertise how great their SOLO2 car is and alll that, best advise to talk to honda guys in your region get feedback from them...
there are only a few on this forum that i know actually COMPETE

·
Registered
402 Posts
for anyone still recommending azenis.,... you guys are obviously the slow bunch in your region...

the bridgestones are the tires to have right now... as they have better grip and last what seems like forever....
then there are 2 others that are competing for top ST class tire... that would be the new TOYO r1r , dunlop direzza z1, and soon to come out KUMHO XS

but it seems your car is in SM so street tires will get you no where near competing... but since your still new stick to street tires... otherwise kumho v710s, hoosier a6s (275 tire)

and to mixelpix mr solo2 crx i think its funny when people use stuff like that to describe their cars haha, anyways the 90% increase is well worth it... bridgestones last much longer... the top STS runner in my region (SF) (who by the way can hang with KEVIN MCCORMICK previous national champ several years)... have about 190 runs on his set of bridgestones.... and he stilll won the tirerack CA divisional series...

at about 100+ runs azenis get to the wear bars... and ultimately useless

golferman, I would talk to the guys in your region... the problem is people on forums liek this... for all you know they only autox for fun or occasionally. And they all have opinions on whats best and what they used that makes them think they are fast... and advertise how great their SOLO2 car is and alll that, best advise to talk to honda guys in your region get feedback from them...
there are only a few on this forum that i know actually COMPETE
That's good advice and it's nice to hear from someone who "competes", but he came on here saying he was recommended Cooper Zeon's, and asking if his car was worthy of running on Azenis, I'd say the advice he was given to go with the Azenis was sound advice, regardless of whether there is now something better or not.

·
Registered
999 Posts
That's good advice and it's nice to hear from someone who "competes", but he came on here saying he was recommended Cooper Zeon's, and asking if his car was worthy of running on Azenis, I'd say the advice he was given to go with the Azenis was sound advice, regardless of whether there is now something better or not.
i never advertised i compete ;)

that question got thrown out... when he really asked whether the tire would hold up with codriver and driving to events. The bridgestones suits him very well even if they cost more...

golferman you can give the dunlop direzza a try too( much cheaper than the bridgestones) but i am not to sure how they wear down... though come in a funky size 195/55 but like most of the hot new ST tires... they are molded wider than they say

·
This one's for you, Duck.
Wait, what?
2,304 Posts
Just get a set of steelies, they're like $50 for a set of 4 and you can run whatever you want on them. You can even get steelies from another make/model car to get the width or offset you need.

That said, ditch the 615s. They get waaaay too greasy once they get too hot. You can have fun on them, but as said earlier trying to be competitive on them is rather difficult. But, if all you're wanting to do is have fun, then go out and do your own thang. :)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts