Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
formerly allnaturalrex
1989 honda crx si
4,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
would you guys recommend getting into autocross first before getting into hpde. reason being i need to stay busy until next season before i go back to the strip. autocross seems fun but everyone i know hates autocross and just like going to the hpde events out here. either way im a novice at both since i never have tried either. im just tired of being harassed by my friends for being oldschool in liking the drag strip more lol.

·
formerly allnaturalrex
1989 honda crx si
4,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
hpde would be local for me since we have willow springs out here and autox would be in fontana which is a hour and a half from me. being convenient is not a factor i just want to know people opinions.

the only thing that throws me off of autox is being in second all the time but the quik reaction aspect to turns brings me back up.

hpde just seems like its a more open event to being able to use the car to its full potential.

then again i have no experience in either so ill shut up now and leave it up to you guys.

·
Premium Member
A lot
2,028 Posts
The way I see it, any practice you get behind the wheel is valuable experience regardless of what type of competition it is.

·
Premium Member
A lot
2,028 Posts
ill probably be getting into auto-x next year. ive never done it before, watched, but never raced
You need to move to this side of the mtns.

Then youll be road racing and rallycrossing too.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I agree ^ ANY experience behind the wheel will benefit you and advance your driving skills. I participate in AutoX and have learned a crap-ton. It's cheaper, at least up here to do AutoX than a high performance class. Also, get your hands on as many books as you can involving former pros talking about secrets to their success. You'll get a lot out of them, trust me.

·
formerly allnaturalrex
1989 honda crx si
4,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
im leaning towards autox until i get familiar with the basic's with suspension set-up, driving etc.. before i hit hpde.

actually this quote sold me lol

Why autocross?

Autocross is an inexpensive, safe way to experience racing. It helps you discover your car's capabilities and limitations, making you a better, safer driver on the road. And it develops your own driving ability. Many would-be race drivers use it as a jump point into the sport of road racing. But probably the greatest thrill of autocross is the challenge of beating your own time. It's fun!

·
Registered
BMX bike
2,938 Posts
autocross is fun, it taught me to slow down to go faster. Definetly a good tool to use for sharpening your skills. Never HPDE'd before but really want to, let me know if you decide to get into it because I am really interested.

·
CR-Vtakin
your mom
11,459 Posts
i started off with auto x before moving on over. i really enjoy autoxing. it also tends to be a lot easier on the wallet compared to hpde. at least for me.

·
Registered
99 ek
722 Posts
id love to get into auto x,any good sites to get started for complete noobs??

·
CR-Vtakin
your mom
11,459 Posts

·
formerly allnaturalrex
1989 honda crx si
4,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
find your region first,read the rules,look at the calender and find a event.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
You should definitely autox first. Once you go to hpde, you'll never want to autox again. I now hate autox after driving the hills. Do at least a full season of autox. It helps you learn the edge of your cars handling. You don't want to learn that on the track. I did three years of autox in 3 different cars (mustang, mgb, civic). The learning curve on the civic was the hardest. I never had driven a fwd competitively before. Without the year of autox, I'm sure I would have wrecked the car this year. I believe autox really helped me out when I switched to the hills this year.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Just show up at a local autox. (early!!) There are plenty of people that are willing to help a new person out. Just ask questions and let people know your new. Normally the club has a novice meeting and walk through the course for new drivers.

Here's the novice handbook for one of the clubs I belong to.

http://www.nhscc.com/forms/NHSCC Novice Handbook.pdf

·
Registered
698 Posts
The SCCA is great, I am a member, but it is not cost effective for a new driver. Look for car clubs in your area that have track days. Just because you might not have the same make as the club day, they will prob. still let you have fun with them.

I joined the BMWCCA just for this reason. They accommodate for all types of drivers. Good luck in the search.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The way I see it, any practice you get behind the wheel is valuable experience regardless of what type of competition it is.
+1.

seat time is seat time.

that out of the way, HPDE's and AutoX are completely different. it's hard to compare them as for what they teach you.

AutoX is a solo event, where you get X number of 1-1.5 minute runs. but its cheaper than an HPDE.

HPDE is an all day lapping event at a road course.

an HPDE is definitely a higher speed event, but the corners are not as close/narrow as they may be at an autoX event.

My Conclusion? start with autox to get your feet wet. it's inexpensive, and a great starting point. when you're ready to throw money at racing, do BOTH. HPDE's that you can actually go to may not come around all the time.

consistent autoX events (we're lucky to have weekly events here, sometimes 2 per week, as there are 2 separate clubs running) will keep you in practice and consistently keep your ass in the seat.

·
The Master Fabricator
2,038 Posts
I love both autoX and hpde.
HPDE is more expensive, but you drive more.
My old autoX club (NYR-SCCA) has a yearly track day at Pocono. I probably drove 150miles on the track that day... it was a blast!
I hope to do it again this year even though I now live in Canada and haven't had the time to finish some of the mods I started last year... I haven't driven my baby in almost 1 year...

·
They call me Awesome!
4,447 Posts
I say autox first. Learn your cars suspension before you hit the track.
AGREED! Flying into a turn at 35 mph is usually a lot safer than flying into a turn at 60+!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts