Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buy a used engine for my manual 2000 honda civic ex. Lkq only has the ej8 automatic in stock. I dont think there is a difference other than the harness right?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can i use use the new wiring harness or should I use the old one? The new engine Im going to order is a 2000 as well.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
only requirement for you is to match the years of the intake manifold and cylinder head.

99-00 have the air injection holes.

else all d16y8 engines are identical outside of those holes on the intake side.

transmission choice matters due to IACV (2 wire versus 3 wire)

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
Even then the intake manifold works with a little drilling and tapping. Its not a big deal.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
not everyone has those tools, and the proper tools are more expensive than simply getting the correct parts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The motor i'm looking at is a 99 and my car is a 2000 so the intake should be ok. With the iacv being a 3 wire I could use my old harness or cut the connector off of my old harness right and remove the orange wire?

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Did you search for the conversion? there are a couple writeups with very clear instructions.

Wiring is something that if you mess up, you can cause a plethora of other issues

Reactions: slo_eg8

·
Registered
ej8
6,367 Posts
The motor i'm looking at is a 99 and my car is a 2000 so the intake should be ok. With the iacv being a 3 wire I could use my old harness or cut the connector off of my old harness right and remove the orange wire?
I repete, reuse all your cars parts.
Do not modify anything and all will go fine.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well got the new engine in swapped everything except spark plug wires. Engine would not start had some bad backfires out of cai then oil coming from timing belt cover and out of the dipstick. So I replaced the oil pan gasket again and put the old wires on car started right up but oil came pouring out of timing cover again. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts