Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK Im a n00b at this, I have downloaded and investigated ALL info on what I need to complete the job. However, I bought my civic with a blown engine for 800 bucks, has brand new wheels and tires, they were worth it alone. The chassis has 105k. The speed sensor went out a month b4 he sold it to me so it may have 110. The big question is, its a VERY clean car for the year with the exception of the driverside fender got crushed, no biggie. I would like to build this up! I thought about coupe's, but, I like the idea of passing the GT's with the kids waving in the back seat! ;) I found a JDM D15B with an LSD tranny 120 miles from me for $895. Is this conversion worth it? I priced all the components for about $200 bucks. I need some helpful advice on this conversion.

·
Registered
88 CRX
1,846 Posts
OK Im a n00b at this, I have downloaded and investigated ALL info on what I need to complete the job. However, I bought my civic with a blown engine for 800 bucks, has brand new wheels and tires, they were worth it alone. The chassis has 105k. The speed sensor went out a month b4 he sold it to me so it may have 110. The big question is, its a VERY clean car for the year with the exception of the driverside fender got crushed, no biggie. I would like to build this up! I thought about coupe's, but, I like the idea of passing the GT's with the kids waving in the back seat! ;) I found a JDM D15B with an LSD tranny 120 miles from me for $895. Is this conversion worth it? I priced all the components for about $200 bucks. I need some helpful advice on this conversion.
Personally, no. I just finished my first auto-manual conversion/engine swap (my second engine swap) and in hindsight, I wouldn't do it again, there's just too much junk to deal and additional headache with swapping to a manual, I wish I'd just waited till I found an manual CRX instead. However, if you've already got the car then I guess it's too late :p. The work to make it a manual is certainly better than driving around with an automatic.

As for that particular motor, I can't speak because i've only owned 4 motors a d15b7, d16y8, d15b6, and d16y5 (current) But I can tell you i've never paid even half that for a d-series engine, tho idk how much an LSD bumps up the value.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Personally, no. I just finished my first auto-manual conversion/engine swap (my second engine swap) and in hindsight, I wouldn't do it again, there's just too much junk to deal and additional headache with swapping to a manual, I wish I'd just waited till I found an manual CRX instead. However, if you've already got the car then I guess it's too late :p. The work to make it a manual is certainly better than driving around with an automatic.

As for that particular motor, I can't speak because i've only owned 4 motors a d15b7, d16y8, d15b6, and d16y5 (current) But I can tell you i've never paid even half that for a d-series engine, tho idk how much an LSD bumps up the value.
Its up in Ocala at Jdmaddictions. the price is $695 for the D15B/w auto trans or $895 for the D15B w/lsd. I called Miami and they wont have any for a couple months :( The only pain I see is the tranny mount has to be re located. As for the rest, The cluch resovoir and cylinder holes are already in the firewall. What difficulties did you have? This is my first. I have done swaps, but in a S-10 pickup, that was fun! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts