Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Guys,

Just bouncing a few idea's around here, please feel free to tell me im stupid/ waisting my time etc., however a few valid opinions would be greatly welcomed :bigok:

The car: 94 lx 4dr autotrajic.

I currently have a d15b shortblock/ d15b7 head, which I believe has fried piston rings (burns about 1 qt/1000 miles, smokes under hard accel) SO regardless that's coming out when i do the auto ~> manual swap.

I also have a stock d15b7 longblock that i just picked up.

I'd like to make my car a little faster as cheaply as possible. I'll be going with the d15b jdm tranny (fingers crossed) with exedy clutch and oem flywheel.

For the engine my trains of thought are:

1) bolt on's for the d15b7: I currently have an a6 cam, y8 AEM cam gear, z6 IM. I would then follow up with an eGay Header and intake, and 2.25" exhaust (yonaka or equivalent) : Ecu is up for debate ($400 ish)

2) minime using the d15b7 shortblock- buy a z6 head have it checked etc. new head gasket, head bolts, ecu. eGay Header and intake, 2.25" exhaust. Bolt it up, buy a vtec harness and plug in a p28 ecu ($750 ish)

Thanks in advance

James

·
Registered
1993 ej1 P.O.S
321 Posts
A 5 speed transmission is always going to make more power then an automatic trans

id say do the conversion first then build the motor but thats just me.. IMO your just wasting money because your motor wont reach its full potential with the slush box holding it back

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A 5 speed transmission is always going to make more power then an automatic trans

id say do the conversion first then build the motor but thats just me.. IMO your just wasting money because your motor wont reach its full potential with the slush box holding it back
I think you misunderstood, I am definitely converting to manual; the question at hand since the current motor is coming out anyay, which of the above should I do as well as convert to manual.

·
Registered
96 civic
276 Posts
i would rather see you go with option 3, but I suppose the 2nd one might be more convenient if you can still drive around the car while youre building the d15b7.
Don't forget about the cost of the transmission and linkage also.

I'm just finishing my auto-manual, i love hearing about other's doing it, make sure to post your progress.

Good luck with everything

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
i would rather see you go with option 3, but I suppose the 2nd one might be more convenient if you can still drive around the car while youre building the d15b7.
Don't forget about the cost of the transmission and linkage also.

I'm just finishing my auto-manual, i love hearing about other's doing it, make sure to post your progress.

Good luck with everything
The way i look at it, regardless of what choice motor i go with the cost of the transmission linkage and other conversion parts are the same so I just don't factor that in.

My bad Id like to see Option 3 as well.. seems most logical
Most logical and also most expensive. But then I guess I could sell the b7 with the a6 cam long block for maybe $150-200 to recoup some of the cost.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was recalculating building the d15b and its looking pretty pointless to me. I can achieve 10.2x:1 compression utilizing the d15b7 shortblock and z6 head.

Option 3 is coming off.

Next question is am I going to see that much more hp from the mimi-me build thats going to warrant the extra cost.

If the d15b7 with bolt ons and a6 cam (no p&p work) with achieve x hp and the d15b7 with z6 head is going to achieve x+7 hp, it's not really worth it IMO. I'm sure the gains to be had with the minime vs a6 cam are more than 7hp though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts