Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi im new to the forums wondering if you guys can help me out. I have a 5-speed 93 civic dx, I saw a d16z6 at the junk yard but it is an auto trans. Will it mate up to my dx manual trans. If so Is there anything involved in this swap besides the p28 ecu and the vtec wiring which i already have? And does anyone have any links to cheap pistons and rods for it. thanks for your help!

·
Registered
85 Posts
yes it will. but if your going to go through the trouble of swapping the motor you should look around and find a s20 or s40 tranny. the shorter gears will help with acceleration

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
s20 or s40 tranny?? are those the manual's out of the si and ex models, I have a zex nitous kit i plan on using. The jets i have a 50 shot with that kind of horse power would it make a huge diffrence. I read under the mini-me write up (just a refrence) that it cut a 1/4 second or somthing like that off the quarter mile time according to ol boy's time slip. I am also trying to maintain some fuel economy. I will have to run the dx tranny for a while because of lack of funds unless I find one cheap. I just want to build up the bottom end before I start shooting so it doesnt blow up in my face, a 50 shot is not alot but I am about realiblility. I wanted to build up the d15 but the cost of piston rods and all the bad mojo about its ability to hold up to 9k from other posts gives me a bad vibe. So the d16z6 auto should swap in with my dx 5-speed tranny almost flawlessly huh? Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
466 Posts
The tranny will bolt right up, but I agree...an s20 would definitely be better to use. You'll also need the motor mounts for the z6. However the upper tranny cradle mount might be different from an auto Z6 to a manual z6.

I'm doing a few swaps myself right now. I have an automatic 93 Civic HB DX. It's getting a manual 95 D16Z6. I've had to swap three mounts, of course do the auto to manual conversion, plus wire up for vtec, reverse, and the auto to manual wiring. Your's is so much easier than mine. Lucky!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All of the motor mounts from the auto should work right, but I would still have to hunt down the tranny mounts right. What if I use the dx tranny for now will they also require new mounts??

·
Registered
956 Posts
I didnt even care to wire up my reverse light, haha. I had to use 10 washers under each stud on the mount just so it'll be tight. I'll get a SI/EX tranny if I was you but its all up to you.

S

·
0 Posts
gnarlyhonda said:
All of the motor mounts from the auto should work right, but I would still have to hunt down the tranny mounts right. What if I use the dx tranny for now will they also require new mounts??
You can use all the mounts that you have in your car right now. And the dx tranny will be fine. No new mounts are required for this swap.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
SOHC4life 96 said:
You can use all the mounts that you have in your car right now. And the dx tranny will be fine. No new mounts are required for this swap.
Well I like the attitude, but why is everybody else saying diffrent.

Garage_Boy said:
I didnt even care to wire up my reverse light, haha. I had to use 10 washers under each stud on the mount just so it'll be tight. I'll get a SI/EX tranny if I was you but its all up to you.
Did you have to do this or is just to force a closer clearence on your mounts, it sounds kinda getto. smashin in the washers till it feels right doent sound like good times to me.

·
Registered
85 Posts
your motor mounts will be the same. as long as you use your dx trans everything will drop right in.when you get the cash for the s20/s40 that will use the same mount as your 5spd dx. so in all...buy the motor,get a clutch and flywheel(or have yours turned), pull dx motor and trans, put z6 motor and trans together and reinstall.after that all you have to do is wire up the vtec and change the ecu. make sure to get a manual ecu.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts