Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
COOOOOOL BEAAANNNS
^^
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had an Infinity 4 channel amp hooked up awhile ago with no audible feedback at the spot where it was grounded.

I took my subs out which where attached to it for about a month. It is now hooked up to my rear deck and soon to be door speakers. However now i can't get rid of this alternator whine, as well as just general feedback.

I introduced another amp to my car, to power the subs. But even taken it out disconnecting the ground and remote i still can't get rid of the whine.

I've googled ground loops which i don't this is a problem- due to the removal of the 2nd amp. I've also googled multiple appliances to one ground or to each it's own and everyone seems to flip flop about that.

Anyone have any advice? Where do you guys ground all your 'ish?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Did you run the rca on the opposite side of the power wire? If not, do so.

I've always grounded amps at the seat belt bolt.

·
Registered
Honda Civic
2,944 Posts
I know its a hassel but its the right way to do it. When I did my 4ch pioneer for my mids and highs, I removed all the seating and carpeting and ran all the wire separately to the trunk of the car. All wires are hidden. *wink* I know it seems like a lot of work but it looks great and you really do get less issues from feedback. And check what quality or wiring you're using. I don't use speaker wire less than 10awg and I also solder my connections. (Don't tell me I went overboard I've already gotten that speech) its no different from somebody doing a wire tuck. You want it to look good, right? If you're running speakers off an amp you should use new wire anyways.

But yeah. Check what wires you're using and makes sure you're not crossing signals anywhere.

·
It's that time again
MAIN ONE IZ A CIVCSI
5,369 Posts
make sure your ground isn't to long the shorter the better also you could be getting the interference from bad rca's they can get damaged from pulling on them or being pinched up some where most of the time now days its from goin with some cheap rca's that gets ppl.

·
Registered
Honda Civic
2,944 Posts
make sure your ground isn't to long the shorter the better also you could be getting the interference from bad rca's they can get damaged from pulling on them or being pinched up some where most of the time now days its from goin with some cheap rca's that gets ppl.
^^^^^even better point. The saying is true, you get what you pay for.

·
COOOOOOL BEAAANNNS
^^
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i guess i should've specified some more. I had previously run all the wires properly.
this is what it roughly looks like. all the power wire and fuses are Knukoncepts, two rca's- the 4 channel are street wire, and the subs is a scosche i believe.

the main power line is 1/0, 4 channel is 8 and mono block is 4. Both amps have corresponding ground lines. I think the 4 channel ground is a little less then 3 feet.

I have no alternator noise when the rear deck speakers are connected to the receiver. So i don't believe that it could be coming from that.

I'll try soldering the connectors together. right now they just have the quick connects on.

The seat belt bolt you are speaking of, the one upper or the lower?

·
Registered
174 Posts
I've used the lower one as I normally mount them to back of the back seat. If your amps are all the way to the back of the car, I'll find an existing bolt and make sure you scrape off the paint around the bolt to get a good connection. I've used self-tapping screws before, but I don't like to use them too much.

Try and find a shorter ground for that 4 channel. 3' is too long

·
Registered
37 Posts
welcome to a honda. alternator noise plagues us. I had to switch to a JL Audio amp to get rid of mine and I do car audio for a living. Sometimes it's everything you have contributing to the problem. Ground as short as possible. Try a ground loop isolator to see if your RCA cables are being a jackass. The other posts here are helpers as well and keep all signal wires away from power wires always

1 - 9 of 9 Posts